Business

April 13, 2016
 

Iran says Boeing offers new aircraft during Tehran trip

Nasser Karimi and Jon Gambrell
Associated Press

Boeing offered Iranian airlines three models of new aircraft to replace the country’s aging fleet during the first visit by the Chicago-based manufacturer in decades, the Islamic Republic’s state-run news agency reported April 11.

Boeing declined to discuss specifics from the negotiation with officials in Tehran, but the airplane builder undoubtedly wants a piece of the action in post-sanctions Iran, which already saw Airbus sign a 22.8 billion euros ($25 billion) deal.

The official IRNA news agency quoted Maqsoud Asadi Samani, the secretary of the Society of Iranian Airlines, as saying Boeing officials offered 737, 787 and 777 model aircraft. Samani said Iran was reviewing the offers.

Iranian airlines have some 60 Boeing airplanes in service, but most were purchased before the 1979 Islamic Revolution that ousted Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and brought Islamists to power.

Out of Iran’s 250 commercial planes, about 150 are flying while the rest are grounded due to lack of spare parts. The country’s air-safety record remains spotty, as parts and servicing remained nearly impossible to get while the world sanctioned Iran over its contested nuclear program.

Now though, with the nuclear deal between world powers and Iran in place, airline manufacturers can re-enter the market, though Boeing has been more hesitant than its European competitor Airbus.

“The Boeing delegation assured Iranian airlines that it will provide all said support after signing an agreement,” IRNA quoted Samani as saying. “Boeing’s cooperation in supporting the current airplanes of Iran and its loyalty to its commitments will contribute to decisions by the airlines for purchasing airplanes from Boeing.”

John Dern, a Boeing spokesman, declined to offer specifics about the negotiations, but said the company discussed the “capabilities of Boeing airplanes, along with the support the company provides.” Previously, Boeing said that its license from the U.S. Treasury Department only allowed it to offer “commercial passenger aircraft fleet planning.”

“The meetings, which were closely coordinated with the U.S. government, enabled us to better understand the status of their current fleets, their route structures and their plans for future operations,” Dern said in an email. “Should any agreements be reached at some future point, they would be contingent on the approval of the U.S. government.”

In late March, a U.S. State Department negotiator on the nuclear deal said nothing under the deal would stop Boeing from making a deal with Iranian airlines. The negotiator, Chris Backemeyer, described Boeing as “considering their options and that, I think, is a good thing.”

On April 11, State Department spokesman Mark Toner offered similar sentiments.

“`Although I can’t speak to the specific report regarding Boeing, I can say that we have seen a number of major companies making tangible plans to take advantage of the new commercial opportunities afforded by,” the loosening of international sanctions, he said, “As we have said before, we are not going to stand in the way of permissible business.”

Since the deal took effect earlier this year, Iran Air has signed agreements to buy 118 planes from the European consortium Airbus and 20 more from French-Italian aircraft manufacturer ATR. Other European companies have pushed into Iran as well, though American firms have been far more cautious as Republican candidates in the U.S. election repeatedly have threatened to tear up the nuclear deal if elected this November.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Headlines – August 21, 2017

News New catastrophe for U.S. Navy as 10 sailors go missing when destroyer collides with oil tanker – Ten sailors are missing and five have been reported injured after the USS John S McCain (main) was involved in a collision with a merchant vessel east of Singapore Aug. 21, the Navy has said.   Predator...
 
 

News Briefs – August 21, 2017

Feds allege California Marines involved in $67 million health fraud Federal authorities say Southern California Marines were recruited for a scheme that bilked the government’s military health insurance provider out of $67 million. The San Diego Union-Tribune says a complaint was filed Thursday in San Diego as part of a civil asset forfeiture case. Authorities...
 
 
Navy photograph by PO2 Joshua Fulton

USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship

Navy photograph by PO2 Joshua Fulton The guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) arrives pier side at Changi Naval Base, Republic of Singapore following a collision with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while underway ...