Business

July 6, 2018
 

Boeing, Embraer attempt a joint venture

AP

Boeing and the Brazilian jet maker Embraer will attempt to form a joint venture that would push the U.S. aerospace giant more aggressively into the regional aircraft market.

The new company, which has faced heavy scrutiny from lawmakers in Brazil, is being valued at about $4.7 billion.

The companies said July 5 that Boeing will own 80 percent of the joint venture, and Embraer SA the remaining 20 percent.

Brazilian lawmakers have been hesitant to allow any deal, fearing the loss of control of a major industrial and defense asset.

Embraer is one of Brazil’s industrial giants and the government sees the company, which is involved in defense manufacturing, as strategically important. President Michel Temer had previously rejected selling control of the jet maker to Boeing.

The government has veto power over any change in the company’s controlling interest, an indication of how highly prized it is and how sensitive any deal with foreign investors is.

Any partnership between Boeing, based in Chicago, and Embraer would counter strengthening ties between Europe’s Airbus and Canada’s Bombardier, which have threatened Boeing.

Embraer’s lineup of E-jets would help Boeing counter Airbus’ new majority stake in Bombardier’s C Series planes that have 100 to 150 seats and help it compete with small airliners from China.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

New AFRL lab capability poised to change the face of high-power electronics

Air Force photograph by Adrienne Kreighbaum AFRL Materials Researcher Dr. Shin Mou shows off the laboratory’s new Molecular Beam Epitaxy chamber, a highly-specialized piece of equipment enabling the growth of semiconducting m...
 
 

Raytheon developing new version of advanced synthetic aperture radar for U-2 aircraft

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.–Raytheon is developing a new version of the Advanced Synthetic Aperture Radar that flies on the U-2 Dragon Lady aircraft under a $320 million undefinitized contract from the U.S. Air Force. Equipped with an active electronically scanned array antenna, ASARS-2B doubles the surveillance range while maintaining the mapping and imagery resolution of the current ASARS-2A...
 
 

Air Force unveils new infrastructure strategy to get more value for money, improve facilities

The Air Force announced on March 22 a new Infrastructure Investment Strategy following a yearlong review that brings new analytical tools and focus that will enhance readiness at bases worldwide. The new strategy marks a significant shift in the way the Air Force maintains facilities, using new analytics and practices that better predict when work...