July 19, 2012

DOD officials explain sequestration dangers

Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON – Pentagon officials continue to work to avoid the looming threat of sequestration, Frank Kendall, the new undersecretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics, said here yesterday.

Kendall spoke to Pentagon reporters in his office about sequestration, and the effect it would have on the department and the defense industrial base.

Sequestration comes out of the Budget Control Act. Now due to take effect in January 2013, sequestration calls for $500 billion in cuts from defense on top of $487 billion in defense cuts already agreed to.

Kendall believes that additional budget reductions called for through sequestration would damage DOD’s ability to defend the nation and create a hollow force.

“Cuts are one thing, but cuts in this irrational fashion is another thing entirely,” the undersecretary said.

Defense industry leaders are right to be worried about sequestration, he said. “They understand the impact of this probably better than anyone else. The main impact of this will probably be on them,” Kendall said.

Many defense firms are readying for sequestration with letters going to employees and general belt-tightening, the undersecretary said.

Within DOD, “the investment accounts are going to be hit hard and in a very irrational way,” Kendall said. “A lot of the work we’ve done over the past couple of years is going to be put at risk, if not more than that.”

Sequestration rules allow the president to exempt military personnel accounts from the process. If that happens, “then a greater burden falls on the other accounts — including operations and maintenance and [research and development] accounts,” Kendall said.

“Sequestration applies to funding that is not yet obligated, he said. “The reduction assigned to acquisition programs is based on the unobligated funding at the time sequestration goes into effect.”

In general, this means the reduction will be applied to funds not yet on contract, Kendall said. A small subset of acquisition programs — some research and development contracts, incrementally funded ships, multiyear contracts — are funded year by year, he said, so they are on contract, but not all the funding is obligated up front.

“This raises the pain for everybody else,” Kendall said. “We’re trying to send a strong message that sequestration is just an unacceptable outcome. It’s completely unnecessary, there’s no reason it should occur. The Congress simply has to act to avoid it, and we’re hopeful that it will.”

No one on Capitol Hill thinks this is a good process, he said.

“Everyone thinks this is a bad idea, and almost everybody thinks we should do something to avoid it,” Kendall said. “I haven’t talked to anyone yet who knows how to do that.”

The undersecretary said it is the general belief that nothing will happen on sequestration before the November presidential elections.

“There are a number of schemes that have been talked about up on the Hill,” he said. “So far all of the ones I’ve heard about are not politically workable. There’s a chance that there will be a delay in implementation, which just defers the problem.”

All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.



Civilians contribute to Roth options

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas — Department of Defense civilian employees eligible for the Thrift Savings Plan may begin to contribute to the Roth TSP. This new feature allows members to contribute on an after-tax basis and receive tax-free earnings when they withdraw funds from their TSP accounts. Air Force serviced civilians may make elections...

DOD to improve voluntary education safeguards

WASHINGTON — The Defense Department is nearing completion of an agreement with post-secondary schools to ensure service members have the best possible experience in continuing their education, a senior Pentagon official said today. The department will release later this summer a memorandum of understanding to be signed by colleges, universities and technical schools to make...

Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces Program debuts at D-M

Service to the Armed Forces, an American Red Cross Southern Arizona Chapter program that provides support to military members, veterans and their families, opened a new satellite office on Davis-Monthan, June 13. In Southern Arizona, the SAF program offers essential human services to about 17,000 active duty personnel and members of all branches of the...


Military members receive joint tactical training

Members from the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps came out for helicopter pre-deployment training here June 7. Lt. Col. Kjall Gopaul, 355th Mission Support Group deputy…

Policy change to allow reservists to carry leave balance

WASHINGTON (AFNS) — Air Force Reserve officials are working to change policy to allow reservists who earn days of leave to carry those days over from year to year. New laws and Department of Defense instructions permit reservists to carry over the leave days. However, policy and procedures have not caught up with the new...

AAFES names new Director and CEO

DALLAS – After a rigorous process led by executive search firm Reffett Associates, Ltd, the Army & Air Force Exchange Service’s Board of Directors has selected military and retail veteran Tom Shull to lead the Department of Defense’s (DoD) oldest and largest Exchange Service. Shull will be the first civilian Director and Chief Executive Officer...


Be the first to comment!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>