JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas — Air Force officials are delaying the upgrade of the Military Personnel Data System that was originally scheduled for December.
Delaying the upgrade is necessary to ensure the new system is thoroughly tested by the Air Force Personnel Center and other Department of Defense and Air Force agencies that use personnel information from MilPDS.
“Despite the best efforts of many, we must delay the upgrade,” said Robert Corsi, Air Force assistant deputy chief of staff for manpower, personnel and services. “It’s critical we ensure our Airmen have the best possible personnel data system, and to do that we need to complete testing on the new system before we upgrade MilPDS.”
The delay will have minimal impact on total force Airmen as personnel processes have been established to allow Airmen to continue to submit early retirement and separation applications until February 1, 2013. The personnel processes and programs identified below will revert back to the requirements and timelines outlined in their respective Air Force instructions:
- Scheduling oral proficiency interviews, Defense Language Proficiency Tests for foreign language proficiency bonuses
- Applying for reenlistments and enlistment extensions
- Completing base of preference applications
- Completing in-place base of preference applications
- Applying for voluntary retraining
- Updating Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance policies
- MilPDS is the primary records database for personnel data and actions that occur throughout every total force Airman’s career. MilPDS is also used to initiate Airman pay actions, maintain -Air Force accountability and strength data and support a host of interactions with other Air Force processes and systems that rely on personnel data.
Reserve and Guard members will receive specific instructions from the Air Force Reserve Command and Air Reserve Personnel Center concerning how the delay will impact their personnel programs. More information is available on the ARPC public website at http://www.arpc.afrc.af.mil.
For more information about personnel services and programs, visit the myPers website at http://mypers.af.mil.