Air Force

May 24, 2013

Where’s the money coming from?

Tags:
Master Sgt. Russell Martin
355th Fighter Wing Public Affairs

A contractor fills a hole around a plant in the construction area of the walking plaza to be built here. Though the walking plaza is being built now, it was paid for with money from the Fiscal Year 2012 budget.

When sequestration hit, the Department of Defense, the U.S. Air Force, Air Combat Command and the Desert Lightning Team here felt its repercussions.

Whilst flying squadrons stand down, civilian furloughs take place, and other belt-tightening measures are being taken degrading readiness throughout the Air Force, Airmen around the installation may have a few questions as to where the money is coming from to fund different endeavors. The answer is different pots of money.

Sequestration took effect March 1 following failed attempts by Congress to agree upon a budget framework to reduce the U.S. deficit by $4 trillion within the next 12 years. Since Congress was unable to accomplish their goal, sequestration took place mandating immediate $1 trillion automatic and across-the-board budget cuts.

These cuts affected flying operations Air Force-wide as the flying hour program was reduced for fiscal year 2013 by up to 18 percent, resulting in approximately one-third of Air Force fighter squadrons standing down. The 354th Fighter Squadron here stood down as a result of the cost-saving measure.

Those familiar with the base may be scratching their heads after seeing the 354th stand down, while also seeing construction nearing completion at D-M’s gate 29B. Some may wonder why D-M and Air Force leaders would choose to bring up to standards a once-dilapidated guard shack, since both the Swan Road and Craycroft Road gates have traditionally been the only gates open for several years.

The answer: That’s what the DLT voted for when D-M was named the 2012 Commander-in-Chief’s Installation Excellence Award winner in March 2012.

The award came with a $1 million cash prize. DLT Airmen voted for a series of initiatives to put that money toward and re-opening 29B was one of them. The money was allocated at that time for construction and other quality of life initiatives.

“We talk to Airmen around the base all the time who ask us about the construction and quality of life improvements around base,” said Chief Master Sgt. Dawna Cnota, 355th Fighter Wing command chief. “This is their money in action. It was awarded to us for being the CINC Installation Excellence Award winners, before sequestration. Their hard work earned these improvements to the base.”

Construction at 29B has been ongoing since Jan. 22, but more recently construction began Feb. 18 on Granite Road between the 355th Mission Support Group and the 355th Fighter Wing Headquarters buildings. The project is to build a walking plaza for DLT members and better comply with DoD Anti-Terrorism and Force Protection standards.

By the time the project started however, sequestration was no longer a threat or negotiating tactic for those on Capitol Hill, it had become a full-blown reality just weeks away. So, why did D-M continue on with the construction?

The answer: The project was already paid for out of the Fiscal Year 2012 Budget.

“The important thing for our folks to remember is that the improvements that they’re seeing now have already been paid for,” said Cnota. “The check has been written and cashed with last year’s budget. They’re just now seeing the results of those allocations.”

It’s important to remember, Cnota said, that the budgeting constraints and initiatives of past years that Airmen are just now seeing come to fruition are the result of previous budgets. They have already been paid for and cancelling the initiatives and improvements would do nothing, but lose money that D-M has already spent.

“Funding comes from a variety of different pots, different monies,” Cnota said. “We can’t take back money that we already spent last year for one project and reallocate it toward something else, it’s just not coded that way.”




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Final Total Force Training Environmental Assessment released

The final Environmental Assessment for Total Force Training, released here today by Air Combat Command, concludes a “Finding of No Significant Impact.” The Air Force will implement the proposed action alternative which places a cap on Total Force Training (formerly Operation Snowbird) flights at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base at 2,326 annual flights.  Officials state that...
 
 

Increased mission requirements open doors for continued service

WASHINGTON (AFNS) — The Air Force is introducing several personnel and manpower initiatives to meet increased mission requirements outlined in the fiscal year 2016 President’s Budget. In order to enhance operational and mission capacity in support of combatant commanders, and to maintain readiness, the Air Force is setting a minimum active-duty force level of 317,000...
 
 

Commissaries support environment year round

FORT LEE, Va.– Green purchasing, food bank donations and recycling highlight a long list of things the Defense Commissary Agency is doing to reach “net zero waste” and other environmental goals. The agency has long focused on the reduction of waste, recycling materials, conservation of resources and becoming more energy-efficient overall, said Randy Eller, deputy...
 

 

AF ROTC detachment command opportunities available

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas (AFNS) — Eligible active-duty line of the Air Force lieutenant colonels and lieutenant colonel-selects interested in summer 2016 Reserve Officer Training Corps detachment command opportunities have until May 27 to request consideration for these positions. Command opportunities are expected to open at more than 50 educational institutions, said Sundy...
 
 

AFOQT scores updated as AF implements new test, form

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas (AFNS) — Airmen who took Form S of the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test may see their test scores updated on May 22, when the Air Force converts scores to the new Form T metric, officials said May 12. According to Dr. Lisa Hughes, the Air Force Personnel Assessment chief,...
 
 

Civilian Airmen serve their country, deploy with military teammates

WASHINGTON (AFNS) — More than two million public employees protect the nation through service in the armed forces, and more than 183,000 of them are Air Force civilian full-time, part-time, term, temp and nonappropriated fund Airmen. Often working behind the scenes in support of their military teammates, civilian Airmen help provide a stable foundation at...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin