U.S.

June 20, 2013

NASA selects Airman for 2013 astronaut candidate class

HOUSTON (AFNS) — NASA officials selected an Airman as one of the eight military and civilian candidates to become an astronaut trainee.

After a 1 ½ year search, officials chose Lt. Col. Tyler N. Hague, the Department of Defense deputy chief of the Joint Improvised Explosive Device Defeat Organization, out of more than 6,100 applicants. Hague is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.

The 2013 astronaut candidate class comes from the second largest number of applications NASA has ever received. The group will receive a wide array of technical training at space centers around the globe to prepare for missions to low-Earth orbit, an asteroid and Mars.

“These new space explorers asked to join NASA because they know we’re doing big, bold things here — developing missions to go farther into space than ever before,” said NASA Administrator Charles Bolden. “They’re excited about the science we’re doing on the International Space Station and our plan to launch from U.S. soil to there on spacecraft built by American companies. And they’re ready to help lead the first human mission to an asteroid and then on to Mars.”

The new astronaut candidates will begin training at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston in August.

“This year we have selected eight highly-qualified individuals who have demonstrated impressive strengths academically, operationally, and physically” said Janet Kavandi, the director of Flight Crew Operations at Johnson Space Center. “They have diverse backgrounds and skill sets that will contribute greatly to the existing astronaut corps. Based on their incredible experiences to date, I have every confidence that they will apply their combined expertise and talents to achieve great things for NASA and this country in the pursuit of human exploration.”




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Face of Defense: Shooting victim seeks to inspire others

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-FORT SAM HOUSTON – An Army officer who was severely wounded in a shooting at Fort Hood, Texas, last year is using his near-death experience to give others a new lease on life. “I believe I was given a second chance,” said 1st Lt. John Arroyo, who is recovering at Brooke Army...
 
 
Fuel_pict

Exchange offers full-service refueling to drivers with disabilities

DALLAS – The Army & Air Force Exchange Service, with the support of U.S. Rep. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, is adding a new system to gas stations on military installations worldwide to make it easier for drivers with dis...
 
 

Assistance Fund campaign kicks off in February

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas (AFNS) — The annual Air Force Assistance Fund campaign kicks off Feb. 2 at 78 Air Force and joint bases worldwide, Air Force Personnel Center officials announced Jan 12. The campaign, in its 42nd year, will be conducted for six-week periods through May 1, said Bill D’Avanzo, the Air Force voting action...
 

 

Women in Service Review Rollout due in 2016

WASHINGTON – Following the 2013 repeal of the Direct Ground Combat Definition and Assignment Rule, the secretary of defense will announce final decisions to integrate remaining closed occupations and any approved exceptions to policy on or about Jan. 1, 2016, a Pentagon official reported. Juliet Beyler, the Defense Department’s director of officer and enlisted personnel...
 
 

Free tax prep, advice available to military families

WASHINGTON – With the new year comes the annual dread of tax-filing season and the confusion and stress that can go along with it, especially for military families whose tax returns can be further complicated by frequent relocations, involvement of rental properties and other aspects of military life. To ease the burden, the Defense Department,...
 
 

Obama unveils next steps in cybersecurity plan

WASHINGTON – Continuing an effort to help defend the nation’s computer-connected systems, President Barack Obama announced today additional steps that call for more information sharing, modernized law enforcement and updated security data breach reporting. “Cyber threats pose an enormous challenge for our country,” the president said. “As long as I’m president, protecting America’...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin