DoD

June 20, 2013

Officials weigh resource priorities during sequester

Amaani Lyle
American Forces Press Service

ARLINGTON, Va. — In light of recent budget woes, Defense Department officials are weighing resource priorities and moving toward the decision phase for the fiscal year 2014 budget, a Pentagon official said at the National Defense Industrial Association National Logistics Forum in Arlington, Va., June 14.

During the strategic choices management review designed to plan a timeline over the next five years, officials will attempt a methodical assessment of the Defense Department’s resources and objectives to avoid broad-stroke cuts, said Mike McCord, the Pentagon’s principal deputy comptroller.

“We want to approach problems as holistically as we can and make decisions that make the best of this bad situation,” McCord said. “Most people feel that there’s a smarter way to do it than across-the-board cuts.”

McCord noted that modernization, readiness and force structure value prioritization remain central to the budget decision process.

“We looked at the kind of trade-offs that people would expect us to look at,” McCord said, “[such as] the impacts of preserving modernization as more of a primary goal to preserving readiness at the expense of modernization and force structure … at the expense of those other two.”

Officials also considered retaining some residual capacity that might be slower to localize or strengthening the force enough to ensure that what remains is ready to deploy and prevail. But if sequestration cuts now in effect for fiscal 2013 continue, he added, the Defense Department won’t be able to do everything the president wants it to do.

“We need to review which of the many objectives we have are the most important to us and separate those that really drive resource decisions from some of those that don’t so much,” McCord said. “We can’t do all the things that the commander in chief wants us to do if we have a permanent sequester level.”

But capability can increase, at least relatively, with greater lead-time, stability in planning and flexibility on how to execute those plans, McCord said.

“We should not wait until the middle of the fiscal year to get those answers as we did this year to find out if the sequester is going to happen or not,” he added.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
(U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Racheal E. Watson)

Living the American Dream

SOUTHWEST ASIA — On Christmas day in 1991, the Soviet flag flew over the Kremlin in Moscow for the last time. People across the country took what jobs they could find, getting paid a fraction of what they made before as...
 
 

AFSOUTH Airmen visit orphans

(U.S. Air Force photo/Tech. Sgt. Heather R. Redman) Staff Sgt. Katie Adams, Master Sgt. Roberto Vasquez and Capt. Sarah Hartenstein, all members of 12th Air Force (Air Forces Southern), take a group photo with the children at Casa de Corderitos orphanage outside the city of Tegucigalpa, Honduras, June 18. The 12th Air Force (AFSOUTH) members...
 
 

AF begins enlisted PME enrollment notifications

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas (AFNS) — Last week, the Air Force Personnel Center initiated a phased approach to notify approximately 83,000 Airmen of the requirement to enroll in the applicable enlisted professional military education distance learning course. AFPC will notify 20,000 Airmen at the beginning of each month until all members have been notified....
 

 
Congeniality_pict

More than just Ms. Congeniality: Airman competes for homeless female veterans

For Tech. Sgt. Charmaine Pozo, the Ms. Veteran America contest was not about glamourous pageantry. It was about tireless advocacy – for a minimally acknowledged segment of those who have served in uniform: homeless female...
 
 

Enlisted evaluation, promotion systems updated

WASHINGTON (AFNS) — With static closeout dates for each rank in place, the Air Force announced it will update the enlisted performance report forms and utilize new forced distribution and senior rater stratification restrictions to round out the incremental changes to enlisted evaluation and promotion systems with performance as the driving factor in promotions. For...
 
 

Don’t throw a fit — get fit

LUKE AIR FORCE BASE, ARIZONA — It’s a controversial topic that has been brought up by many Airmen — changing the abdominal circumference standards on the Air Force fitness assessment test. After months of debate, it was decided by Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Welsh III that the standards will stay the same....
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>