DoD

July 5, 2013

DOD contractors to get new whistleblower protections

Nick Simeone and Karen Parrish
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON – Beginning July 1, whistleblowers working for Defense Department subcontractors will begin receiving protection against reprisals through a new law intended to better protect those who expose possible wrongdoing.

In addition, as part of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013, contractors who report suspected waste, fraud and abuse within their company rather than directly to the DOD inspector general also will be protected, a modification of previous laws aimed at better protecting whistleblowers working on DOD contracts.

Nilgun Tolek, who directs investigations against whistleblower reprisals for the Defense Department inspector general’s office, explained the new law to reporters yesterday at the Pentagon.

“Since internal complaints weren’t covered under the statute, those people who did make an internal hotline complaint and believed they were retaliated against had nowhere to get protection,” Tolek said, adding that the measure “brings the statute up to par with existing whistleblower protections.”

The new law will apply to all DOD contracts beginning on or after July 1, as well as to new amendments to existing contracts.

Marguerite C. Garrison, deputy inspector general for administrative investigations, said complaints about abuse from DOD subcontractors revealed the need for the new law.

“Congress has recognized that there have been some loopholes in the provisions, and that the protections didn’t expand to everyone,” she explained.

The law will provide added protection to whistleblowers from retaliation by requiring “clear and convincing evidence” that a contractor would have taken the same disciplinary action against an employee even if he or she had not come forward with an allegation of abuse, Tolek said.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
DoD

DOD to take holistic view of slowing military compensation growth

The Defense Department can no longer put off slowing the growth of military personnel costs, and the fiscal year 2015 budget request DOD is recommending to the president begins that process, defense leaders said here today. Saying they are ready to take on the hard task of curbing growth in compensation, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel...
 
 
DoD

DOD anti-tobacco video contest now open for public voting

WASHINGTON (AFNS) — The Air Force community is encouraged to kick off 2014 by voting online for the best anti-tobacco video in the Department of Defense-sponsored Fight the Enemy until March 14. Five finalists have been selected for public voting, including two Air Force entrants. The contest videos capture the theme of tobacco use as the “enemy”...
 
 
DoD

DOD helps support dependents in school

Attending new schools and adjusting to new teachers, are part the moving process for children of Service members. With those changes come possible difficulties, but the Department of Defense provides a program called Tutor.com to help ease the transition. Tutor.com is a website used by military families that allows students to connect to a live,...
 

 
DoD

Think before sending: Protecting PII

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-LACKLAND, Texas – Network security is more than just a buzzword. It is an important tool used to secure not just information related to national security but also personal security. The Air Force, Army and the entire Department of Defense take information assurance and the protection of personal information seriously. As of October 2013, individuals...
 
 
DoD

DOD to mandate documentation for lost, stolen CAC cards

WASHINGTON, D.C. (AFNS) – Later this year, the Defense Department will begin fully enforcing a previously optional policy regarding the reissuance of lost or stolen common access cards, a defense official said here today. Sam Yousef, a program manager for identity and benefits policy at the Defense Human Resources Activity, discussed an update to the current...
 
 
DoD

President to nominate several to key DOD positions

President Barack Obama has announced his intent to nominate four people to key Defense Department positions, all of which require Senate confirmation. They are: Miranda A. A. Ballentine, to be assistant secretary of the Air Force for installations, environment, and logistics; Michael McCord, to be undersecretary of Defense (comptroller); Brian P. McKeon, to be principal...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin