DoD

November 14, 2013

IG hotline reports spike in complaints

Nick Simeone
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON – Complaints to the Defense Department’s inspector general hotline have climbed by 125 percent over the past four years, a senior official in the office said, and the cases include everything from abuse in the workplace to the multi-million-dollar contracting investigation now underway within the upper reaches of the Navy.

“We are marketing and branding and making ourselves more accessible, and the trend is we’re getting a lot more complaints nowadays than we were a few years ago,” DOD Hotline Director Patrick Gookin told reporters at a Pentagon briefing today, called to highlight the hotline’s efficiency and not to discuss specific cases.

Some 31,000 contacts were made to the hotline in fiscal year 2013, a sharp increase from the preceding years. “We referred last year 4,862 cases,” Gookin said.

Prominent investigations that have made national headlines over the past few years began from someone contacting the DOD hotline, which takes in all complaints and refers them to the appropriate agency or department for inquiry, he said.

In addition to the ongoing Navy contracting case, they include the 2010 investigation into mismanagement at Arlington National Cemetery, sexual abuse at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, as well as the 2011 probe into improper handling of remains of the nation’s war dead at Dover Air Force Base, Del.

The purpose of the hotline is to provide a confidential and reliable means to report critical issues affecting DOD property, programs and operations, with special emphasis on matters affecting life, safety and readiness. The identities of those reporting alleged wrongdoing is protected unless there is a compelling reason not to protect that information, Gookin said. Email is no longer used; most complaints are made online. Any complaints made by phone are not recorded. The inspector general’s office can release results of an investigation only through a request made under the Freedom of Information Act.

“All intel matters are priority one,” Gookin said in response to a question about how his office would have dealt with former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden if, instead of leaking classified documents to the media, he had brought his complaint about alleged abuses at the agency to the inspector general’s office.

“He had every opportunity to go through us rather than what he did,” Gookin said, adding that “those complaints would have been the highest priority we could have ever had in our hotline that I could think of.”




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
DoD

New tuition assistance tool attuned to troops’ educational needs

WASHINGTON – The Defense Department continues to invest in its service members and has introduced a new online informational tool tailored to their unique school programs and educational needs, the Defense Department’s chief of voluntary education said in a DoD news interview this week. Dawn Bilodeau discussed a new online tool called “Tuition Assistance DECIDE.”...
 
 
DoD

New DoD cyber strategy nears release, official says

WASHINGTON – The Defense Department will release a new cyber strategy next week to guide the way ahead for cyber in the foreseeable future, a senior Pentagon official told Congress today. Testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee’s emerging threats and capabilities subcommittee, Eric Rosenbach explained how DoD plans to continue improvement to America’s cybersecurity...
 
 
DoD

DoD eliminates renter’s insurance from BAH

JOINT BASE LANGLEY-EUSTIS. Va. — Following recent changes to Department of Defense Basic Housing Allowance policies, U.S. Service members living in privatized base housing will no longer automatically receive renter’s insurance through property management companies. Since privatization, Service members who live in military housing communities were automatically provided renter’s ins...
 

 
DoD

DoD extends Armed Services YMCA contract

WASHINGTON – The Department of Defense announced a one-year extension to the Armed Services Young Men’s Christian Association Military Outreach Initiative, according to DoD officials. Originally set to expire in March 2015, the contract with the YMCA will now continue uninterrupted until March 2016. “We are very pleased that we are able to extend this...
 
 
DoD

Afghan transition trends ‘positive,’ Campbell says

WASHINGTON – The commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan delivered an upbeat assessment of progress in the nation, while also acknowledging there is much that needs to be done. Army Gen. John F. Campbell told the Senate Armed Services Committee this morning that there is a new atmosphere in the Afghan capital of Kabul, and...
 
 
DoD
SecDef_pict

Carter takes office as 25th Defense secretary

WASHINGTON (AFNS) — Ash Carter became the 25th secretary of Defense Feb. 17, after having served previously as deputy defense secretary, defense acquisition chief and assistant secretary for global strategic affairs. Pres...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin