Air Force

January 30, 2014

Dempsey: No plans to close military commissaries

Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON (AFNS) — Contrary to some news reports, there are no plans to close military commissaries, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said.

But Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey added that the budget environment is forcing the department to look for savings anywhere possible.

The chairman first addressed this issue during his Facebook town hall meeting last month.

The Joint Staff did not ask the Defense Commissary Agency to come up with a contingency plan to close 100 percent of U.S. commissaries, senior military officials said. Officials did ask the Defense Commissary Agency for a range of options, including how the system would operate with reduced or no taxpayer subsidies, the chairman said, noting that military exchanges work on this system and that the same potential exists with commissaries. In the most recent year, the Defense Commissary Agency received $1.5 billion in subsidies.

“But we haven’t made any decisions,” the chairman said. “We’ve got to drive toward greater efficiencies, and this is just one of the potential areas.”

The Bipartisan Budget Act, which President Barack Obama signed earlier this month, alleviated some of the sequester pressure on the department through fiscal 2015. But the Budget Reduction Act of 2011 is still law, and sequester-level spending cuts will be back in play in fiscal 2016, unless Congress changes the law.

Still, the chairman said, the department must find ways to ensure that service members are prepared to perform their missions.

“We’re well aware of the need for acquisition reform, as well as the need to reduce unnecessary infrastructure and retire unneeded weapons systems,” Dempsey said. “All of the institutional reforms are intended to produce a single outcome: the best-trained and best-equipped service men and women on the planet.”




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

SNCOs: Contact AFPC to see if Course 14 completion is noted in records

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas (AFNS) — Senior NCOs recently notified by the Air University Barnes Center for Enlisted Education that their Senior NCO Academy Distance Learning Course 14 Version 6 “failed” exam scores have been corrected may want to review their records to ensure updates are complete. In late 2013, Air Education and Training...
 
 

Draft Supplemental EA open for public review and comment

The 355th Fighter Wing released the 563rd Rescue Group Personnel Recovery Supplemental Environmental Assessment today for public review and comment. A 30-day comment period follows the release of the document. The comment period will end Monday, May 4, 2015. The draft Supplemental Environmental Assessment (SEA) and draft Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) evaluates the...
 
 

Anything you can do I can do better

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. — Sibling rivalry has always challenged people to do things better, like run faster or jump higher. Two brothers have taken that competition to new heights to make the Air Force greater. “We have always competed to find out who was the best,” said Senior Airman Leonel DeJesus-Martinez, 57th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron...
 

 
AAFES_pict

Exchange rewards academic excellence with “You Made the Grade Program”

DALLAS — The Army & Air Force Exchange Service is rewarding military students who excel in the classroom with its You Made the Grade program, now in its 15th year. Students in first through 12th grades who maintain a B av...
 
 

$25K available in AF Club Scholarship Program

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-LACKLAND, Texas (AFNS) — The 2015 Air Force Club Scholarship Program is accepting applications through midnight CDT, May 1. Now in its 17th year, the program has provided almost $400,000 in college tuition assistance to more than 400 Air Force Club members and their families. This year, the program will award 40...
 
 
(Graphic courtesy of MilitaryPay.gov)

Eligible Airmen may choose retirement plan at 14 1/2-year mark

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas (AFNS) — The Air Force Personnel Center has developed an automatic notification process that sends a message directly to active-duty Air Force and headquarters Active Guard Reserve m...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin