More than 200,000 people are expected to attend the “Thunder and Lightning over Arizona” Air Show and Open House April 12 and 13. The event is open to the public and admission is free.
It is two days of nonstop entertainment, but a few tips can help make the experience more pleasurable for guests.
Traffic in the areas surrounding Davis-Monthan Air Force Base is expected to be heavy. Golflinks Road will be closed from the Swan gate to the Craycroft gate.
During the open house the 355th Security Forces Squadron and Tucson Police Department would like to minimize traffic congestion and provide spectators and D-M personnel quick access to the base and parking areas. To help make this happen please be aware that all spectators coming to the show will have to pass through a security checkpoint prior to entering the base. Guests are asked to have all purses and other allowable bags open for search at the checkpoints.
The following items will be allowed to be brought onto the base, but will be checked:
· Personal carts or wheechairs for physically challenged visitors
· Diaper bags for small children
· Small women’s purses
· Strollers for small children
· Official service dogs
· Cameras or video recorders; must be small enough to carry by hand
The following items are prohibited from coming on base:
· Outside alcohol
· Duffle bags
· Large purses
· Large camera bags
· Illegal drugs
· Weapons (brass knuckles, mace, pepper spray, box cutters, numchucks, firearms, knives)
· Military uniforms worn by non-military members
· Gang or motorcycle club affiliated colors or clothing
· Folding chairs and lawn chairs
The following Items are recommended:
· Water bottles. (There will be free water-refill stations and concessionaires for refreshments available for purchase.)
· Hearing protection
· Sunhats/baseball caps
For those who prefer not to carry their own chairs, rental chairs will be available for the day at $5 each.
The Flight Line Club features an exclusive shaded viewing seating with unobstructed views located in the center of the show. Flight Line Club members will have access to the VIP gate and premium parking. Meals will be catered and members will have access to private restrooms. To purchase Flight Line Club seating, visit the Force Support Squadron website or contact Frances Pientack at 228-5950 or e-mail email@example.com for more information.