Defense

July 19, 2016
 

U.S. personnel in Turkey safe, Pentagon spokesman says

Tags:
Terri Moon Cronk
DoD News, Defense Media Activity
(Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Jack Sanders)
Families of U.S. airmen and families of Defense Department civilians board an Atlas Air 747 airliner at Incirlik Air Base, Turkey, April 1, 2016. Family members and civilians were ordered to depart the base. U.S. personnel and family members who remained in Turkey are safe in the aftermath of a July 15, 2016, coup attempt there, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook told reporters July 18, 2016.

WASHINGTON — All U.S. service members and civilians in Turkey are safe in the wake of the July 15 attempted coup there, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook told reporters today.

“We’ve taken appropriate steps to maintain the safety and security of our civilian and military personnel, their families and our facilities, and we will continue to do so,” he said of about the roughly 3,000 Americans in Turkey, about 100 of whom are family members.

 

Family Departure Previously Ordered

Cook noted a departure order that was previously issued for families, and particularly those who were tied to Turkey’s Incirlik Air Base, where the U.S.-led coalition is a tenant and is using the base to conduct counter-Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant airstrikes and other operations. Turkey is a NATO ally and is a member of the counter-ISIL coalition.

“We’ve had a clear assessment of what the situation is now with regard to safety and security of our people,” Cook said. “And that was our primary concern throughout this entire process.”

 

U.S. Operations Continue

Defense Secretary Ash Carter is focused on making sure U.S. operations continue, personnel remain secure and the relationship with Turkey continues to progress, the press secretary said.

“We are confident that the measures we have in place and the support we’re receiving from the Turkish government is adequate to address any security concerns we have at this time, and we’ll continue to watch it very, very closely, as you would expect we would,” Cook added.

Force protection efforts also have ensured U.S. assets are safe, he said.

“We were, of course, concerned enough that we elevated our force protection,” the press secretary said. “So this was clearly a situation of unrest in Turkey that was a cause of concern for us. We took steps to protect our people and our facilities, and I think that was the appropriate thing to do in light of the circumstances.”

 

Power at Incirlik Not Restored

Cook said power has not yet been restored at Incirlik, but U.S. operations there continue. “[We’ll take] whatever steps we need … to try to mitigate any impact that there could be on the [counter-ISIL] campaign,” he said, and he confirmed that the United States has backup power to conduct its operations.

“We adjust as we need to, to make sure we keep the pressure on ISIL [and] that we keep our operations going,” Cook said. “And we are very thankful the coalition is able to adjust in other ways, should there be any sort of delay or some sort of impact on our operations going forward.”

 




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
Air National Guard photograph by Staff Sgt. George Keck

Arizona Air National Guard’s first deployment in 31 years

Air National Guard photograph by Staff Sgt. George Keck Staff Sgt. Luke Arandules, a 195th Aircraft Maintenance Unit crew chief, Arizona Air National Guard, performs a final inspection for debris around the intake of an F-16 Fi...
 
 
Air Force photograph by Airman 1st Class Michael X. Beyer

AF spouses learn valuable resiliency skills

Air Force photograph by Airman 1st Class Michael X. Beyer Military spouses attend a resiliency class at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz., Sept. 7, 2018. The class focused on providing tools to spouces to help deal with the c...
 
 
Air National Guard photograph by Staff Sgt. George Keck

Arizona Guard deploys to Czech Republic for Ample Strike 2018

Air National Guard photograph by Staff Sgt. George Keck Col. Allen Kinnison, 162nd Operations Group commander, Arizona Air National Guard, completes his pre-flight inspection of an F-16C Fighting Falcon at Namest Air Base, Czec...