Health & Safety

May 4, 2012

Cooking fire safety

by Edwards AFB Fire Prevention
95th Civil Engineering Division

Many families gather in the kitchen to spend time together, but it can be one of the most hazardous rooms in the house if you don’t practice safe cooking behaviors. Cooking equipment, most often a range or stovetop, is the leading cause of reported home fires and home fire injuries in the United States.

Safe cooking behaviors

It’s a recipe for serious injury or even death to wear loose clothing (especially hanging sleeves), walk away from a cooking pot on the stove, or leave flammable materials, such as potholders or paper towels, around the stove.

Whether you are cooking the family holiday dinner or a snack for the children, practicing safe cooking behaviors will help keep you and your family safe.

Choose the right equipment, use it properly

  • Follow manufacturers’ instructions and code requirements when installing and operating cooking equipment.
  • Plug microwave ovens and other cooking appliances directly into an outlet. Never use an extension cord for a cooking appliance, as it can overload the circuit and cause a fire.

Use barbecue grills safely

  • Position the grill well away from siding, deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
  • Place the grill a safe distance from lawn games, play areas, and foot traffic.
  • Keep children and pets away from the grill area by declaring a 3-foot “kid-free zone” around the grill.
  • Put out several long-handled grilling tools to give the chef plenty of clearance from heat and flames when cooking food.
  • Periodically remove grease or fat buildup in trays below grill so it cannot be ignited by a hot grill.
  • Use only outdoors!
  • Charcoal Grills
  • Purchase the proper starter fluid and store out of reach of children and away from heat sources.
  • Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals or kindling have already been ignited, and never use any flammable or combustible liquid other than charcoal starter fluid to get the fire going.

Propane grills

  • Check the propane cylinder hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. A light soap and water solution applied to the hose will reveal escaping propane quickly by releasing bubbles.
  • Never store propane cylinders in buildings or garages. If you store a gas grill inside during the winter, disconnect the cylinder and leave it outside.

Watch what you heat

  • The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking.
  • Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
  • If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking.

Keep things that can catch fire, heat sources apart

  • Keep anything that can catch fire – potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, towels, or curtains – away from your stovetop.
  • Keep the stovetop, burners, and oven clean.
  • Keep pets off cooking surfaces and nearby countertops to prevent them from knocking things onto the burner.
  • Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire if it comes into contact with a gas flame or electric burner.

How, when to fight cooking fires

  • When in doubt, just get out. When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
  • If you do try to fight the fire, be sure others are already getting out and you have a clear path to the exit.
  • Always keep an oven mitt and a lid nearby when you are cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan (make sure you are wearing the oven mitt). Turn off the burner. Do not move the pan. To keep the fire from restarting, leave the lid on until the pan is completely cool.
  • In case of an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you or your clothing.
  • If you have a fire in your microwave oven, turn it off immediately and keep the door closed. Never open the door until the fire is completely out. Unplug the appliance if you can safely reach the outlet.
  • After a fire, both ovens and microwaves should be checked and/or serviced before being used again.

If you have any other questions just call the Edwards AFB Fire Prevention Division at (661) 277–3124/3643.

 

Remember, in case of an emergency dial 911 from a duty or housing phone or, if you are calling from a cell phone, call (661) 277-4540/4541.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

News Briefs November 21, 2014

Chapel service There will be an Ecumenical Thanksgiving Service and dessert service 6 p.m., Nov. 24 at Chapel 1. Everyone is invited to bring your favorite dessert to share. For more information, call 661-277-2110. Commissary closure The Edwards Commissary will be closed Thanksgiving Day and then resume regular hours Nov. 28. Exchange closure The Edwards...
 
 
Air Force photograph by Brad White

Winter fire safety tips

Air Force photograph by Brad White The aftermath of a resident fire in the Edwards AFB housing area last month. Recently, Edwards AFB encountered a fire in the housing area that could have been devastating to all involved. The ...
 
 

Holiday Hours

Special holiday hours will be in force for 412th Force Support Squadron facilities. The hours are: Thanksgiving Day – Nov. 27 All 412th FSS facilities will be CLOSED except the following: * Aero Club: Flying sunrise to sunset, office closed * Joshua Tree Dining Facility: Brunch 6 a.m.-1 p.m., Dinner 4:30-7 p.m., and Midnight Meal...
 

 
Photograph courtesy of Vincent Doss

DHS football, girls volleyball end seasons

Photograph courtesy of Vincent Doss Athletes of the Desert High School Girls Volleyball team pose for a group photo following their win at Mammoth High School last month. The Scorpions lost a close game 3-2 against Duarte High ...
 
 

Airmen Powered by Innovation program launches new site

WASHINGTON – Fellow Airmen, Your enthusiasm and ingenuity continues to be our Air Forceís number one weapon system! In April of this year we launched the Airmen Powered by Innovation program aimed at turning your ideas into real cost savings for our Air Force. Since coming online API has received and reviewed more than 2,400...
 
 
Air Force photograph by Rebecca Amber

Airman receives ‘surreal’ phone call from Paramount Pictures

Air Force photograph by Rebecca Amber Capt. Eric Koenig, 412th Aerospace Medicine Squadron dentist, accepted an offer from Paramount Pictures to purchase one of his screenplays, “Matriarch,” on Veterans Day. For som...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>