On Sept. 20th, the 412 Test Wing hosted the first community town hall. This was an open forum where community residents can voice issues and concerns directly with leadership.
It was a unique opportunity to talk directly with Edwards decision makers. Base leadership highly encourages all Edwards personnel to attend these informative gatherings. Many issues and concerns were brought up with base senior leadership. Below is an update on the key points discussed at the first town hall:
- Fitness on Request Update: Recently, the Edwards Fitness Center introduced Fitness on Request. This virtual work out program is now available in the Aerobics Room at any time the center is open. If a group is interested in starting its own specific time slot and/or fitness routine, or to find out more about Fitness on Request, please contact the Fitness Center at (661) 275-4961.
- Parental Concern at Branch Elementary: With parental input for child safety, the 412th Test Wing, in conjunction with Branch Elementary, has implemented a new method for children being dropped off at the school. Barriers are being placed in the parking lot forming a “safe corridor” for cars to drop off children. Children will be funneled to specific entry points protected from traffic. This barrier will separate children from cars allowing safe movement in and out of the parking lot. See the related article in last week’s Desert Wings or visit http://www.edwards.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123322706 for more info and to view the diagram.
- Contracted Fitness Classes on Base: Recently, two fitness contracts were approved to provide instructor-led fitness classes. Customers interested in Zumba or Aerobics (with Total Body Conditioning/Kickboxing) can take classes at the Oasis Community Center. Zumba classes begin Nov. 5 and are offered several times during the week. Cost is $3 a person per class. For Aerobics, classes also start Nov. 5 and are offered at various times throughout the week. Cost is $25 a person per month. For more information on either class, please contact the Fitness Center at (661) 275-4961.
- Volunteer Fitness Classes: It has been determined that Edwards can allow volunteers to teach fitness classes at the Fitness Center. Volunteers must have current certification for the particular discipline they teach as well as current liability insurance. The fitness center has only one aerobics room that currently hosts Fitness on Request. Those interested in volunteering to teach fitness classes should contact the Fitness Center at (661) 275-4961.
- AAFES Updates: As you may have seen, a new gas station is being constructed across from the Base Exchange. We anticipate opening the new station next summer. Additionally, Arbys will be coming soon to the food court. We look forward to this addition in the Exchange Food Court.
- Avenues of Communication Across the Base: The base has several media outlets which customers can use to find out the latest happenings. Check out the 412th FSS website at 412fss.com/wordpress/. This site can be viewed from any computer in the world with internet access. From here, you can sign up for our weekly bulletin “The Scoop.” This will be emailed direct to the email box you designate every week. The Scoop provides highlights of weekly events across the base. Also on the website, people can download the most recent copy of “The Saber.” This monthly magazine is a detailed look at all that is going on in the 412th Force Support Squadron and base. Additionally, events like the Town Hall are highlighted in the Desert Wings.