The Air Force Institute of Technology’s School of Systems and Logistics (AFIT/LS) is pleased to announce AFIT’s upcoming offering of SYS 208 at Edwards Air Force Base.
This live course explains the Air Force LCRM process to help effectively manage risk and exploit opportunities throughout a program’s life cycle within regulations and guidance (e.g. AFI 63-101). During the course, the Air Force five step risk management process is discussed, along with tools and techniques associated with each step. Numerous exercises are used throughout to enhance student understanding of the material. Some top-level topics covered include:
- Risk Management Planning – planning strategies, sample Risk Management Plan (RMP) formats, development and training of a risk team, and identifying resources to implement an RMP
- Risk Identification – sources of risk, risk events, writing risk statements, and tools/techniques to brainstorm risks (e.g. Rqmts Analysis, Affinity Diagram, AF SEAM, RI3, Cause Mapping, etc.)
- Risk Analysis – estimating likelihood and consequence, analysis techniques such as Monte Carlo simulation, a “SME calibration” exercise, probabilistic assessments, and reporting risk on the AF standardized 5×5 matrix
- Risk Handling – risk handling options, evaluating handling options, and contingency planning
- Risk Tracking – selecting effective measures and metrics, types of measures and metrics, how to evaluate data (such as technical performance charts), reporting results (burn-down charts, PoPS, etc.), and making decisions based on reported metrics/measures
There is a capstone exercise at the end of the course that has the students apply the entire risk management process using a real-world acquisition program example. The Air Force’s mandated risk management software package, Active Risk Manager, is also discussed.
DATE: March 26 to 28
LOCATION: Building 2461 Room D
PREREQUISITE: None, although SYS 118, Introduction to Life Cycle Risk Management is highly recommended. (Online 5-CLP course)
The course is targeted for anyone involved in new acquisitions, sustainment of systems, or management of services.
Course Request and Registration
Visit AFIT Now at https://www.atrrs.army.mil/channels/afitnow/ to register for the class.
Point of Contact
Course Director: Richard Sugarman, DSN 785-7777, Ext. 3247, or e-mail email@example.com
Training Administration Team: DSN 785-7777, Ext. 3164, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org