Air Force

May 17, 2013

Hagel orders retraining of recruiters, sexual assault responders

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has ordered the services to retrain, re-credential and rescreen all sexual assault prevention and response personnel and military recruiters. Hagel directed the retraining, re-credentialing and rescreening to address the broader concerns that have arisen out of recent events.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -Amid a spate of allegations of criminal behavior by military recruiters and service members involved in the Defense Department’s efforts to prevent sexual assaults and help that crime’s victims, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has ordered the services to retrain, re-credential and rescreen all sexual assault prevention and response personnel and military recruiters.

In a statement, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said Hagel was informed yesterday about allegations of criminal behavior against an Army sergeant first class who was a sexual assault prevention and response coordinator at Fort Hood, Texas.

“I cannot convey strongly enough his frustration, anger and disappointment over these troubling allegations and the breakdown in discipline and standards they imply,” Little said.

Hagel met with Army Secretary John M. McHugh and directed him to fully investigate the matter rapidly, to discover the extent of the allegations, and to ensure that all of those who might be involved are dealt with appropriately, the press secretary added.

Little said Hagel directed the retraining, re-credentialing and rescreening to address the broader concerns that have arisen out of these allegations and other recent events.

“Sexual assault is a crime, and will be treated as such,” the press secretary said. “The safety, integrity, and well-being of every service member and the success of our mission hang in the balance. Secretary Hagel is looking urgently at every course of action to stamp out this deplorable conduct and ensure that those individuals up and down the chain of command who tolerate or engage in this behavior are appropriately held accountable.”

Army officials announced yesterday that the Army Criminal Investigation Command is investigating the Fort Hood soldier for pandering, abusive sexual contact, assault and maltreatment of subordinates.

In a statement, Defense Department officials said the soldier had been assigned as an equal opportunity advisor and sexual harassment and sexual assault response and prevention program coordinator with a 3rd Corps battalion at Fort Hood when the allegations surfaced. The soldier was immediately suspended from all duties by the chain of command once the allegations were brought to the command’s attention, officials said, adding that charges had so far not been filed or preferred.

Editor’s note: Courtesy of American Forces Press Service.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

News Briefs December 12, 2014

Commissary hours The Commissary will be closed Dec. 25 and 26. Regular hours will resume Dec. 27. The Commissary will be open regular hours Dec. 31, and closed Jan. 1, 2015. For more information, call 661-277-9175. MPF closure The Military Personnel Section in Bldg. 3000 will be closed for an official function Dec. 15 from...
 
 

From the palm of your hand, MyMC2 connects you to Edwards

Members of the Edwards community¬†are reminded of a smartphone app¬†that lets them know what’s going on around base. The My Military Communities is a mobile application that centralizes all of Edwards’ community events, organizations and services right in your pocket for smartphones, both Android and Apple. MyMC2 lists activities happening on base as well as...
 
 
TPS

TPS graduates 24 students

Twenty-four students of Class 14A will graduate from the U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School during a ceremony at the schoolhouse Dec. 12 where each student will be awarded a Master of Science in Flight Test Engineering from the A...
 

 
Air Force photograph by Rebecca Amber

Single Airmen get home-baked holiday goodies

Air Force photograph by Rebecca Amber Senior Airman Chasaneya Jones, 412th Operations Support Squadron fills bags of cookies with the help of her son, Airess. Around 3,600 home-baked cookies were donated.The annual Airman’...
 
 

Thrift Savings Plan limits increase for 2015

The Internal Revenue Service has announced increased limits for 2015 Thrift Savings Plan contributions. “The maximum contribution amount for traditional and/or Roth TSP will be $18,000; this is an increase from the elective deferral limits of 2013 and 2014, which was $17,500,” said Erica Cathro, an AFPC Human Resources Specialist. “Additionally, the maximum amount of...
 
 

New personal property allotment rule implemented to protect Airmen

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel recently directed a policy change in paycheck allotments which will prohibit service members from allotting pay to buy, lease or rent personal property. The prohibition includes allotments for the purchase or finance of vehicles, such as automobiles, motorcycles and boats; appliances or household goods, such as washers, dryers and furniture; electronics...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>