School is back in session at Edwards Air Force Base beginning Aug. 19 and we want this to be an exciting year for your family! Here are some helpful tips to consider as your child makes the transition from summer to school.
- * Get back into a school year routine – Re-establishing bedtimes and mealtimes can be beneficial to getting your child back into their expected schedule. Have your child prepare their lunch, organize their school backpack and coordinate their outfits the night before school. Plan the route your child will be using if they are walking to school and have a plan for afterschool childcare.
- Partner with the school – Attend your child’s back-to-school nights. Meet the teachers and get to know the school staff. Regularly attend parent and teacher conferences. Volunteer in your child’s classroom, join the PTO, or become a school board member.
- Communicate regularly – Talk with your child about any concerns they may have in starting school. If you just recently moved into the area discuss the differences from your child’s previous school to their new school. Develop a way to involve a deployed parent into your child’s education throughout the year and involve that parent in the educational decisions.
- Develop a routine for homework – Designate a location and time for homework in your home. Check your child’s backpack for school information. Sign up for Parent Portal with the school to gain timely communication, access, and accountability with the school. Find ways to extend what your child is learning in school, in your home.
- Contact the School Liaison Office – The School Liaison Office is a resource and referral support to your family. The SLO is here to support families with transitions, school related issues, and to partner in advocating for your school age child. Please contact me, Christy McCoy, at (661) 277-3210 or e-mail†412FSS.School.Liaison@edwards.af.mil.