Air Force

October 18, 2013

Public engagement once again affected

Staff Sgt. Carlin Leslie
Air Force News Service

Air Force community and public outreach was significantly impacted earlier this year as sequestration went into effect, and is now all but non-existent due to the partial government shutdown, with more than 800 events being canceled or withdrawn this year.

As a result of sequestration and the government shutdown, roughly 45 million people did not get the chance to see the U.S. Air Force in action.

During the current lapse in appropriations, measures were taken to correctly follow the dictates of the law and policy on how the Air Force will continue business in the community and public outreach departments.

ìThe lapse in appropriations has forced the Air Force and all of the Department of Defense, to once again stop all community outreach, even local no-cost efforts,î said Wendy Varhegyi, Air Force Engagement division chief.

Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter has issued The Contingency Plan Guidance for Continuation of Essential Operations, which outlines missions and functions that may continue and/or must cease during the lapse in appropriations. The Department can legally only support those functions that directly support of ongoing military (wartime) operations or that are directly related to the safety of life and protection of property.

Unfortunately, most community activities do not fit within the narrow list of operations that the Air Force can continue to support during the lapse in appropriations.
Effective Oct 1, 2013, the following outreach programs will not be supported, until a budget or a continuing resolution has been passed and signed by the president.

  • All public flyovers (funeral flyovers will continue as authorized under fiscal year 2013 sequestration guidance)
  • All demonstration team performances. (Thunderbirds, Wings of Blue, etc.)
  • All public honor guard and drill team performances.
  • All public band concerts.
  • Any speeches, tours or other community events that are not directly related to an excepted operation.
  • Any units (band, aviation, honor guard, etc.) currently at a temporary duty assignment are directed to return to home station in rapid, but safe orderly fashion.

Though operations in outreach have currently ceased, departments await appropriations so things can get back to normal.

We are anxious to see an appropriation, so that we can once again engage with the American public in a fiscally responsible manner,î Varhegyi said. Public engagement is crucial to maintaining essential public trust and confidence in our institution.

For more information regarding what operations are excepted as part of the Contingency Plan Guidance for Continuation of Essential Operations, visit
http://www.defense.gov/home/features/2013/0913_govtshutdown/Contingency-Plan-Guidance-Attachment.pdf




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Leadership development program nominations due March 16

Nomination packages for majors and major-selects interested in the Defense Department 2015-2016 Executive Leadership Development Program are due to the Air Force Personnel Center by March 16, officials announced. The program, designed specifically for highly motivated officers who have demonstrated outstanding leadership ability, commitment to public service and integrity, and who have an inter...
 
 
Air Force photograph by Jim Varhegyi

AF senior leaders caution against sequestration

Air Force photograph by Jim Varhegyi Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III answers a question about the fiscal year 2016 President’s Budget request during a hearing of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on D...
 
 
Air Force photograph by Sheila deVera

AF marks first RQ-4 non-military base landing

Air Force photograph by Sheila deVera A U.S. Air Force RQ-4 Global Hawk prepares to land Feb. 21, 2015, at Avalon Airport in Victoria, Australia, marking the first historic landing in Australia in preparation for the 2015 Austr...
 

 
Air Force photographs

Air Force announces nomination of new AFMC commander

Air Force photographs Lt. Gen. Ellen M. Pawlikowsi and Gen. Janet C. Wolfenbarger Air Force officials announced Feb. 13 the President’s nomination of Lt. Gen. Ellen M. Pawlikowsi to the rank of general with assignment as ...
 
 
Air Force photograph by Scott M. Ash

Priorities of AF acquisition outlined at symposium

Air Force photograph by Scott M. Ash Dr. William A. LaPlante talks to attendees of the Air Force Association’s Annual Air Warfare Symposium and Technology Exposition Feb. 13, 2015, in Orlando, Fla. LaPante is the assistant se...
 
 

AF officials announce FY16 budget force structure changes

Air Force officials released force structure changes resulting from the fiscal year 2016 President’s Budget, Feb. 6. The fiscal year 2016 budget will continue the Air Force’s divestment strategy presented in fiscal year 2015, but will re-phase the retirement of several weapons systems later into the Future Years Defense Program in order to retain critical...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>