Air Force

October 18, 2013

Public engagement once again affected

Staff Sgt. Carlin Leslie
Air Force News Service

Air Force community and public outreach was significantly impacted earlier this year as sequestration went into effect, and is now all but non-existent due to the partial government shutdown, with more than 800 events being canceled or withdrawn this year.

As a result of sequestration and the government shutdown, roughly 45 million people did not get the chance to see the U.S. Air Force in action.

During the current lapse in appropriations, measures were taken to correctly follow the dictates of the law and policy on how the Air Force will continue business in the community and public outreach departments.

ìThe lapse in appropriations has forced the Air Force and all of the Department of Defense, to once again stop all community outreach, even local no-cost efforts,î said Wendy Varhegyi, Air Force Engagement division chief.

Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter has issued The Contingency Plan Guidance for Continuation of Essential Operations, which outlines missions and functions that may continue and/or must cease during the lapse in appropriations. The Department can legally only support those functions that directly support of ongoing military (wartime) operations or that are directly related to the safety of life and protection of property.

Unfortunately, most community activities do not fit within the narrow list of operations that the Air Force can continue to support during the lapse in appropriations.
Effective Oct 1, 2013, the following outreach programs will not be supported, until a budget or a continuing resolution has been passed and signed by the president.

  • All public flyovers (funeral flyovers will continue as authorized under fiscal year 2013 sequestration guidance)
  • All demonstration team performances. (Thunderbirds, Wings of Blue, etc.)
  • All public honor guard and drill team performances.
  • All public band concerts.
  • Any speeches, tours or other community events that are not directly related to an excepted operation.
  • Any units (band, aviation, honor guard, etc.) currently at a temporary duty assignment are directed to return to home station in rapid, but safe orderly fashion.

Though operations in outreach have currently ceased, departments await appropriations so things can get back to normal.

We are anxious to see an appropriation, so that we can once again engage with the American public in a fiscally responsible manner,î Varhegyi said. Public engagement is crucial to maintaining essential public trust and confidence in our institution.

For more information regarding what operations are excepted as part of the Contingency Plan Guidance for Continuation of Essential Operations, visit
http://www.defense.gov/home/features/2013/0913_govtshutdown/Contingency-Plan-Guidance-Attachment.pdf




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

News Briefs October 17, 2014

M4/M9 Firing Range closure The Edwards AFB Combat Arms Firing Range is closed for M4 and M9 firing until further notice. Any required firing for PCS or deployments will temporarily be accomplished at March ARB, Calif. To schedule training, contact the Combat Arms section at 661-277-2103. It is strongly recommended that all firing be scheduled as soon...
 
 
unity

The beauty of unity

Air Force graphic by Staff Sgt. Benjamin W. Stratton What do cheeseburgers, musical groups, sports teams and the United States of America have in common? If you said “the letter ‘s,’ you’re right, but th...
 
 

Up-and-coming awards

2015 Cooke award nominations sought JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas – Air Force officials are seeking nominations for the 11th Annual Department of Defense David O. Cooke Excellence in Public Administration Award. This award was created to promote, perpetuate and recognize the type of exceptional contributions David O. Cooke made to the federal service. He...
 

 
Courtesy graphic

AF releases criteria for new service medal

Courtesy graphic Graphic of the Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal. WASHINGTON - Air Force officials released nomination criteria for the new Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal, following Secretary of the Air...
 
 

Undergrad flying training applications due in December

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas – The 2015 undergraduate flying training selection board originally scheduled for Jan. 20-23 will now convene Feb. 17-20 and associated application suspenses have shifted by approximately a month, Air Force Personnel Center officials said Oct. 10. Eligible active duty officers interested in undergraduate flying training must apply by Dec. 19...
 
 
Air Force photograph by Rebecca Amber

Bunch encourages one enterprise mindset at commanders call

Air Force photograph by Rebecca Amber Maj. Gen. Arnold Bunch Jr., Air Force Test Center commander, discussed his six strategic goals for the test center at a commanders call Oct. 14 in the base theater. Maj. Gen. Arnie Bunch, A...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>