The Key Spouse Program is a formal unit program that offers informal peer-to-peer/wingman support to families. The Key Spouse Program is a commander’s program. The commander establishes and maintains the program within the unit. The team is comprised of the commander, the Key Spouse Mentor, the first sergeant, the Key Spouse, and the Airman and Family Readiness center. Everyone on the team impacts the unit’s culture and contributes to its ability to accomplish the mission at home and abroad.
The Key Spouse program was developed as a Quality of Life Initiative out of concern for the Air Force Families.
Why is the Key Spouses program important?
- Promotes individual, family, and unit readiness
- Establishes continuous contact with spouses/families
- Encourages peer-to-peer Wingman support
- Links to leadership
- Provides an informal sounding board
- Strengthens leadership’s support team
- Vital to building strong AF communities
Key Spouse Program Benefits
- Increased awareness of installation/community resources
- Identified/resolved issues at lowest levels
- Enhanced up/down information flow
- Prepared/supported families during separations
- Increased sense of unit support
- Improved Quality of Life among unit families
- Increased readiness and retention
- Enhanced family resiliency
The A&FRC is responsible for training appointed Key Spouses in accordance with AFI 36-3009, providing oversight and assistance, facilitates Key Spouse training, information and referral support.
Monthly training is provided on military and community resources, services and programs available to military families, as well as insight into the challenges and rewards of the military lifestyle.
The Edwards AFB Key Spouses are highly motivated and enthusiastic about assisting their commanders and first sergeants to help the military families in their units.
Visit the Airman and Family Readiness Center Bldg. 5620†(Conference Center) or call (661) 277-0723 or 4709 for more information and to sign up.
You can also find out more info on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/EdwardsKeySpouses.