Base leadership and civic leaders from around the Antelope Valley gathered at Club Muroc March 5 to formally induct new representatives into the Edwards Honorary Commanders Program.
The primary objective of the Honorary Commanders Program is to provide Edwards commanders with the capability to develop, promote and maintain a continuous working partnership with the surrounding communities. It helps to familiarize community leaders with Edwards’ operations by pairing them with unit commanders and directors at both social and official functions.
This program is an avenue for community partner leaders to learn about Air Force mission, personnel, programs and operations. Likewise, base commanders and personnel will benefit from continued cooperation with the community and its key leaders.
“Honorary commanders are selected because of their commitment to outstanding civic leadership and base support,” said Brig. Gen. Michael T. Brewer, 412th Test Wing commander.
Honorary commanders are asked to serve a one-year term. During that term, the HCCs are invited to participate in activities such as change of command ceremonies, quarterly mission tours, promotion and award ceremonies, and commander’s calls. The HCCs can participate in as many events they wish.
Similarly, the HCCs can invite their military commander counterpart to attend civilian and corporate events within the local community.
The new HCCs received certificates welcoming them into the program from their military counterparts and former HCCs were given a warm farewell.
The induction ceremony introduced the following honorary commander and annotates their base unit affiliation:
- Ed Knudson, President, Antelope Valley College (412th Electronic Warfare Group)
- Dr. Karen Cowell, Dean, Health Sciences, Technical Education, Business & Computer Studies (412th Test Engineering Group)
- Shelly Dearinger, Principal of Gregg Anderson Academy (elementary school) (412th TW Hypersonics)
- Gary Bohannon, Regional Manager with Honda America (419th Flight Test Squadron)
- Dr. Laura Herman, Headmaster, The Palmdale Aerospace Academy (U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School)
- William Warford, Teacher at The Palmdale Aerospace Academy (412th Maintenance Group)
- Caroline Rodriguez, Board Chair of the Palmdale Chamber of Commerce (412th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron)
- Mick Gleason, Kern County Supervisor, 1st District (412th Operations Group)
- Dick Allen, CEO, Palmdale Regional Medical Center (412th Medical Group)
- Donna Termeer, Executive Director, Antelope Valley Family YMCA (412th Test Management Group)
- Dennis LaMoreaux, General Manager of the Palmdale Water District (412th TW)
- Mark Grubb, Chemistry & PhysicsTeacher, Desert High School (411th FLTS)
- Kelly Kennerknecht, Kaiser Permanente, Public Affairs & Brand Communications (Air Force Research Laboratory Detachment 7)
- Lisa Moulton, District Coordinator for State Senator Steve Knight (412th Mission Support Group)
- Andrew Parker, President of the Mojave Unified School District Board and reserve Police Officer (412th Security Forces Squadron)
- Carlos Gomez, Owner of Sharper Landscaping Services, California City (412th TW)
- Lynne Bunn, Lone Pine business owner and private pilot (412th Operations Support Squadron)
- Sam Ramirez, Senior Field Representative for Assemblyman Steve Fox (412th Communications Squadron)
- Mike Burroughs, Owner of the Broken Bit Steak House in Quartz Hill (412th Support Squadron)
- Barb Buus, works for Board of Equalization Member George Runner (445th FLTS)
- Harvey Holloway, Coldwell Banker Commercial Valley Realtor & long-time Antelope Valley Board of Trade member and director (412th FLTS)
- Dianne Knippel, Region Manager – Local Public Affairs, Northern Region, Southern California Edison (412th Civil Engineering Directorate)