April is the Month of the Military Child and Corvias Foundation invites the community to wear purple April 15 to recognize and honor military children.
Corvias Foundation is inviting their employees and communities to “Purple Up! For Military Kids” April 15. Corvias Group offices will hold events and activities for military kids at several military installations across the country.
The “Purple Up!” initiative started only a couple of years ago and has quickly spread across the entire country. Sparked by a deep appreciation for the challenges military children face, purple is the selected color of this movement of gratitude because it symbolizes a combination of Army green, Air Force blue, Marine red, Navy blue, and Coast Guard blue.
“Military children live with unique challenges presented by frequent moves, parental deployments, and life transitions,” explains Corvias Foundation Executive Director, Maria Montalvo. “Children of military families serve along with their parents, and we want to recognize them for their sacrifice.”
According to AASA, the School Superintendents Association website:
- Approximately two million military children have experienced a parental deployment since 2001
- There are currently 1.2 million military children of active duty members worldwide
- Nearly 80 percent of military children attend public schools throughout the United States
- The average military family moves three times more often than their civilian counterpart
- The repeated and extended separations and increased hazards of deployment compound stressors in military children’s lives
- Positive community support been shown to positively influence emotions and behaviors of military children
Join over 850 Corvias Group employees in recognizing military children by “Purpling Up!” on April 15 to show appreciation and support for military families and their children. Corvias Group team members will honor military children by wearing a purple pin all month and will wear purple shirts on April 15.
Please wear your purple and†drop by†the Corvias Office, 402 West Forbes Ave. at 3 p.m. on April 15 to celebrate military children in a short ceremony. This event will feature free food, and entertainment.
In addition, check out http://blog.corviasfoundation.org/ to share and read stories about military children.