“Poetry is like fish: if it’s fresh, it’s good; if it’s stale, it’s bad; and if you’re not certain, try it on the cat.” – Osbert Sitwell
The Sierra Vista Public Library invites everyone to try out their poetry writing skills and share their poems with the community. The annual Poetry Contest, sponsored by the Friends of the Sierra Vista Public Library, is back in the month of September. Students in 3rd – 12th grades and non-published adult writers over 18 are invited to enter. The SVPL staff will begin accepting entries on Sept. 1, and the deadline for submissions is Oct. 1. Contest guidelines are below and entry forms can be picked up at the library or accessed online at www.SierraVistaAz.gov/SVLibrary.
Each poet should submit two copies of an original poem — one including his/her name and one copy that does not. The anonymous copies are evaluated by a panel of judges who will select the winners. Winners will be announced at the awards ceremony on Oct. 20. All participants are invited to read from their work at this ceremony. Participants should bring their own copies of their poems if they wish to read them, as submitted poems will not be available. The library maintains the right to reproduce poems at any time but copyright is retained by the author.
1. Poems must be suitable for a general audience.
2. Each poet submits two copies of a poem.
3. One unpublished, original poem must be submitted on one side of letter-sized paper, 8½ x 11 inches. The poem must be typed or word processed, and submitted in English.
4. On the duplicate copy only, type the poet’s name, address, phone number, and email address on reverse side of poem.
5. Submissions will not be returned — poets should retain copies of their work.
6. Poems must be accompanied by an entry form and delivered to the library or mailed to: Poetry Contest, Sierra Vista Public Library, 2600 E. Tacoma St., Sierra Vista, AZ 85635.
7. Participants must include their age and grade, if applicable, on the entry form.
8. All entries must be received no later than 5 p.m. on Oct. 1.
9. All judges’ decisions are final.
No library card is needed to enter the contest, but the library staff is always happy to offer a free first library card to all Sierra Vista, Fort Huachuca and Cochise County residents. The SVPL is Fort Huachuca’s public library and offers library cards to anyone with proof of residency in the county or here temporarily with orders and a military identification card.
For more information, call 458.4225.