MI group assumes control of Bad Aibling Station
In August 1994, the 718th Military Intelligence Group (Provisional) assumed control of Bad Aibling Station in Germany. The field station was located 35 miles southeast of Munich, close to the Bavarian Alps.
In 1952, the site first became an Army Security Agency monitoring station. In 1966, it was designated as the 18th ASA Field Station with the motto of “Sentinels of Freedom.” In June 1972, as part of ASA’s drawdown in Europe, the station was discontinued and its mission absorbed by Field Station Augsburg.
Ironically, when Field Station Augsburg closed in 1993, Bad Aibling re-opened. Over the next decade, the station supported U.S. peacemaking and peace-keeping operations in the Balkans. Bad Aibling Station finally closed for good in September 2004.
“This Week in History” is a feature on the Command History Office website.
Those with Army Knowledge Online access can go to their site, https://ikn.army.mil/apps/mi_history/.
To learn more about the 2012 MI Branch and Corps Commemoration, go to the public website, https://www.ikn.army.mil/apps/mi_comm/.