Health & Safety

September 20, 2012

Got gas? Safety tips can prevent leaks

Fort Huachuca Fire Department

In late August, Fort Huachuca Fire Department personnel were dispatched to a building where a child was ill. What made the youth sick was a natural gas leak from a stove in a facility on Fort Huachuca. This leak was ongoing for some time and had been previously reported but not to the proper personnel to locate and correct the problem. It has now been taken care of, and a new stove will replace the defective equipment.

Natural gas gives off an odor that smells like rotten eggs. It also may give off a blowing or hissing sound. Anyone who smells it or thinks there is a leak should leave the area immediately and inform their gas company right away. Thos who don’t know the number should call emergency service, 911. Do not try to locate the source of the gas leak or try to shut off gas valves or appliances.

Do not use any electrical devices, such as light switches, telephones or garage door openers. They could spark and ignite the gas.

Avoid using open flame, matches or lighters or starting vehicles.

Do not re-enter the building or return to the area until your gas company says it is safe.

If the natural gas ignites, let it burn. Do not put out the flame; burning gas will not explode.

Other signs of a natural gas leak include dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area; flames, if a leak has ignited; dirt or dust blowing from a hole in the ground or bubbling in wet or flooded areas.

Prevent natural gas leaks when installing a natural gas appliance by hiring a professional to do it. Incorrect installation can lead to a slow and undetectable natural gas leak. Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the care and use of natural gas appliances. Check the flame on pilot lights and burners. If they have a steady blue flame, they are operating correctly. Never use a gas stove to heat a home or other building or for anything besides cooking.

Have all gas appliances, furnaces, vents, flues, chimneys and gas lines in a home or business inspected every year or two by qualified industry professionals. This is usually a free service.

Keep areas around all gas appliances and equipment clean and unblocked to allow for proper air flow. Natural gas can build up in the air if it is not able to circulate out through vents.

Store chemicals and flammable materials away from gas appliances.

Always make sure there is at least one multipurpose fire extinguisher in your home or place of business.

Keep children away from natural gas appliances, and teach them natural gas safety.

Following these simple steps can help residents and business owners avoid a potential tragedy.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Civilian Fitness Program coming to Fort Huachuca

The Life is Good monthly workshops held its first workshop of the year Jan. 15 in the Network Enterprise Technology Command auditorium featuring Dr. Doug Briggs, the director of Human Performance at Fort Bliss, Texas. Briggs is an internationally recognized expert in his field with a lifetime of training, coaching and competing internationally. His presentation...
 
 

National Blood Donor Month celebrates donors, local collection scheduled

FALLS CHURCH, Va. — January is National Blood Donor Month, and this year, the Armed Services Blood Program, ASBP, would like to thank you for “giving to the red, white and blue.” “2014 was a great year for the Armed Services Blood Program,” said Navy Capt. Roland Fahie, ASBP director. “We have you — our...
 
 

Obama unveils next steps in cybersecurity plan

WASHINGTON — Continuing an effort to help defend the nation’s computer-connected systems, President Barack Obama announced Tuesday additional steps that call for more information sharing, modernized law enforcement and updated security data breach reporting. “Cyber threats pose an enormous challenge for our country,” the president said. “As long as I’m president, protecting America...
 

 

Retiree Council shares news you can use

Do retired Soldiers maintain healthier weights than Civilian retirees? Approximately half of the retired Soldiers whose height and weight were measured at medical appointments in military treatment facilities last year had a body mass index, BMI, that classified them as obese. Obesity rates for these retired Soldiers are significantly higher than the general population of...
 
 

FHFD shares wildfire safety tips for upcoming fire season

It’s time to prepare for the upcoming wildfire season. Remembering last year’s Brown Fire, there’s a high probability for fire related incidents and events again this year. Evacuations can come with little notice and no time to prepare. Initial wildfire preparedness by having a plan and an evacuation kit is much more important as this...
 
 

Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning during colder weather

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because one cannot see it or smell it, it can kill people before they are even aware of its presence. Carbon monoxide is one of the leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in America. Carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion. Therefore, anything...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin