Health & Safety

September 20, 2012

Got gas? Safety tips can prevent leaks

Fort Huachuca Fire Department

In late August, Fort Huachuca Fire Department personnel were dispatched to a building where a child was ill. What made the youth sick was a natural gas leak from a stove in a facility on Fort Huachuca. This leak was ongoing for some time and had been previously reported but not to the proper personnel to locate and correct the problem. It has now been taken care of, and a new stove will replace the defective equipment.

Natural gas gives off an odor that smells like rotten eggs. It also may give off a blowing or hissing sound. Anyone who smells it or thinks there is a leak should leave the area immediately and inform their gas company right away. Thos who don’t know the number should call emergency service, 911. Do not try to locate the source of the gas leak or try to shut off gas valves or appliances.

Do not use any electrical devices, such as light switches, telephones or garage door openers. They could spark and ignite the gas.

Avoid using open flame, matches or lighters or starting vehicles.

Do not re-enter the building or return to the area until your gas company says it is safe.

If the natural gas ignites, let it burn. Do not put out the flame; burning gas will not explode.

Other signs of a natural gas leak include dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area; flames, if a leak has ignited; dirt or dust blowing from a hole in the ground or bubbling in wet or flooded areas.

Prevent natural gas leaks when installing a natural gas appliance by hiring a professional to do it. Incorrect installation can lead to a slow and undetectable natural gas leak. Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the care and use of natural gas appliances. Check the flame on pilot lights and burners. If they have a steady blue flame, they are operating correctly. Never use a gas stove to heat a home or other building or for anything besides cooking.

Have all gas appliances, furnaces, vents, flues, chimneys and gas lines in a home or business inspected every year or two by qualified industry professionals. This is usually a free service.

Keep areas around all gas appliances and equipment clean and unblocked to allow for proper air flow. Natural gas can build up in the air if it is not able to circulate out through vents.

Store chemicals and flammable materials away from gas appliances.

Always make sure there is at least one multipurpose fire extinguisher in your home or place of business.

Keep children away from natural gas appliances, and teach them natural gas safety.

Following these simple steps can help residents and business owners avoid a potential tragedy.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
Jolene Cooper, MVC

Homes await military Families: MVC has available housing in most post neighborhoods

Jolene Cooper, MVC A currently unoccupied home in Miles Manor 1 is available to a Family of a Service member E1 through E-6. Unlike most homes in that housing area, it is a single unit. All nearby homes are located less than a ...
 
 

Presidential Proclamation — National Native American Heritage Month, 2014

NATIONAL NATIVE AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH, 2014 BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA A PROCLAMATION Every year, our Nation pauses to reflect on the profound ways the First Americans have shaped our country’s character and culture. The first stewards of our environment, early voices for the values that define our Nation, and models...
 
 

Garrison commander conducts Ebola Awareness Town Halls

The Fort Huachuca U.S. Army Garrison commander conducted two Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) Awareness Town Halls Nov. 13 at Murr Community Center to ensure all Installation Management Command (IMCOM) personnel are knowledgeable about the disease, its origins and spread. Col. Thomas A. Boone addressed attendees about the mandatory IMCOM Ebola training requirement, and said the...
 

 

IMCOM unveils plan for 2025 and beyond

SAN ANTONIO — The U.S. Army Installation Management Command released “IMCOM 2025 and Beyond,” a new campaign plan operationalizing the commanding general’s vision for the organization. This plan provides a roadmap for IMCOM’s future and serves as a change management document that focuses the command’s collective efforts, prioritizes resources and continues the exchange of informatio...
 
 

Recycle cooking oil, grease after Thanksgiving Day

After you’re done with the turkey and stuffing next week, take cooking oil and grease to be recycled at one of the two City of Sierra Vista year-round grease collection sites, free of charge. In previous years, Sierra Vista has set up a special grease collection site on the day after Thanksgiving. “This year, we’re...
 
 
Gary Sheftick

Native Americans place special honor in military service

Gary Sheftick Mary Hudetz, editor-in-chief of Native Peoples Magazine and president of the Native American Journalists Association, speaks to reporters and students at the Defense Information School, during the Defense Media Ac...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin