Health & Safety

September 20, 2012

Got gas? Safety tips can prevent leaks

Fort Huachuca Fire Department

In late August, Fort Huachuca Fire Department personnel were dispatched to a building where a child was ill. What made the youth sick was a natural gas leak from a stove in a facility on Fort Huachuca. This leak was ongoing for some time and had been previously reported but not to the proper personnel to locate and correct the problem. It has now been taken care of, and a new stove will replace the defective equipment.

Natural gas gives off an odor that smells like rotten eggs. It also may give off a blowing or hissing sound. Anyone who smells it or thinks there is a leak should leave the area immediately and inform their gas company right away. Thos who don’t know the number should call emergency service, 911. Do not try to locate the source of the gas leak or try to shut off gas valves or appliances.

Do not use any electrical devices, such as light switches, telephones or garage door openers. They could spark and ignite the gas.

Avoid using open flame, matches or lighters or starting vehicles.

Do not re-enter the building or return to the area until your gas company says it is safe.

If the natural gas ignites, let it burn. Do not put out the flame; burning gas will not explode.

Other signs of a natural gas leak include dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area; flames, if a leak has ignited; dirt or dust blowing from a hole in the ground or bubbling in wet or flooded areas.

Prevent natural gas leaks when installing a natural gas appliance by hiring a professional to do it. Incorrect installation can lead to a slow and undetectable natural gas leak. Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the care and use of natural gas appliances. Check the flame on pilot lights and burners. If they have a steady blue flame, they are operating correctly. Never use a gas stove to heat a home or other building or for anything besides cooking.

Have all gas appliances, furnaces, vents, flues, chimneys and gas lines in a home or business inspected every year or two by qualified industry professionals. This is usually a free service.

Keep areas around all gas appliances and equipment clean and unblocked to allow for proper air flow. Natural gas can build up in the air if it is not able to circulate out through vents.

Store chemicals and flammable materials away from gas appliances.

Always make sure there is at least one multipurpose fire extinguisher in your home or place of business.

Keep children away from natural gas appliances, and teach them natural gas safety.

Following these simple steps can help residents and business owners avoid a potential tragedy.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Chapel serves up community generosity

From left, Staff Sgt. Daniel Carnaghi, 62nd Army Band; Chaplain (Lt. Col.-P) Kim Norwood, senior Garrison chaplain; his wife, Cindy Norwood; Jo Moore, Outreach Ministries coordinator; and Spc. Benjamin Sepulveda, Main Post Chapel chaplain’s assistant, prepare to distribute turkeys to Fort Huachuca Families in need Thursday at the Main Post Chapel. Thanks to generous donations...
 
 

Baby, it’s cold outside — time to heat things up

Within the past few weeks, the normally warm Arizona heat has done an about-face — suddenly it’s cold outside. Often people’s homes or office spaces are not heated to their liking so they use portable heaters to be more comfortable. Sometimes Families use fireplaces to help take the edge off of the cold in the...
 
 

FH Retiree Council shares news, notes

Peer support line helps veterans Since 2010, the Vets4Warriors Peer Support Line has provided service members confidential, peer-to-peer support. The Peer Support Line was built on the concept that Service members prefer to seek help from someone who has also served and understands their challenges. Vets4Warriors, which will soon change its name to the Military...
 

 
Maci Hidalgo

Fort celebrates Native American Heritage Month

Maci Hidalgo Larry Redhouse performs the “Eagle Dance” during the American Heritage Celebration at the TMAC. This dance signifies the eagle going to the four cardinal directions and it represents the different spiritual dir...
 
 
Sgt. Reece Lodder

Marines: Remembering Greeley — Marine who carried his flag to Iwo Jima

Sgt. Reece Lodder From left, Greeley Wells Jr., Barbara Kenney and Elizabeth Wells display letters and challenge coins they received from Maj. Sung Kim, the commanding officer of Marine Corps Recruiting Station Seattle, on beha...
 
 

Army & Air Force Exchange Service sets Thanksgiving holiday hours

Launderette Always Open Main Exchange Thursday: Closed Friday: 4 a.m. – 8 p.m. Saturday: 6 a.m. – 8 p.m. Sunday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Furniture/Outdoor Living Thursday: Closed Friday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday: 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Main Store Barbershop, Flower Shop, General Nutrition Center, Mobile Center, Optical Shop,...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin