Events

October 25, 2012

Community Briefs – October 25, 2012

Cochise College magazine invites submissions

The Cochise College literary magazine, “Mirage,” is now accepting submissions for its 2013 issue.

“Mirage” showcases high-quality art and literature produced by community members. Submissions are accepted from Cochise College students and residents of Cochise and Santa Cruz counties.

For submission guidelines and the address to send submissions, visit the Mirage online, found under “Student Publications” on the homepage of the Cochise College website, www.cochise.edu.

The priority deadline for the upcoming issue is Nov. 29.

Those interested in participating in the production of Mirage as students for credit or as volunteers should contact Cochise College, 515.0500.

Bookmobile coming to town

The bookmobile is coming to town, and the public is invited to see what it has to offer. For a map and schedule of bookmobile stops, go to http://cochise.lib.az.us/ or call the Cochise County Library District, 1.800.231.1574 or 432.8930.

FHCSC Annual Tour of Homes cancelled

Due to renovations occurring in many of Fort Huachuca’s historical homes, the Fort Huachuca Community Spouses Club Tour of Homes will not take place this year.

28th Annual Unique Boutique Bazaar

On Friday, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m., and on Oct. 27, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., enjoy viewing and shopping for handmade arts and crafts at Sierra Suites, 391 E. Fry Blvd, Sierra Vista. Admission is free.

For information, call 417.6960.

NamiBikes Cycling Event

The National Alliance on Mental Illness of Southeastern Arizona and Cenpatico of Arizona invite the public to join them in a ride to heighten mental illness awareness on Saturday.

Two road courses and multiple distances are offered. Enjoy vendors, information booths, music, entertainment and a bike rodeo for the young, as riders leave and return to Veterans’ Memorial Park.

Check-in begins at 6 a.m. Admission is $35 for ride registration. Events at the park are free.

For information and registration, contact 1.520.417.6960, 459.3228 or www.FightStigmaAndRide.org.

FH Chapel celebrates harvest

The Fort Huachuca Chaplains will host the annual Children’s Harvest Festival on Saturday, 3 – 7 p.m. on the grounds of the Main Post Chapel. Non-gory costumes are encouraged.

There will be games, two bounce castles, a climbing wall, face painting, hair coloring, pumpkin decorating and hot dogs, popcorn and drinks. Admission is free.

For more information, call 533-4753.

Fall Festival at Burger King

On Saturday, 1 – 3 p.m., Fort Huachuca’s Burger King will hold a Fall Festival for the entire family with special activities and a costume contest for youth 12 and under. The Fort Huachuca community is invited.

Sierra Vista Symphony performs

The Sierra Vista Symphony presents “Earthly Thrills and Other Worlds,” the first concert of its 18th season on Saturday, and will feature works by Aaron Copland, Ferde Grofe, Maurice Ravel and Gustav Holst. The pre-concert seminar begins at 6 p.m., and the performance starts at 7 p.m. in the Buena Performing Arts Center, 5225 E. Buena School Blvd. General admission is $25; preferred seating, $30; family with children, $30.For more information, call 417.6960 or 458.5189.

Brown Canyon Ranch Open House

The 7th annual Brown Canyon Ranch Open House takes place Saturday, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Brown Canyon Ranch. Events feature a B Troop 4th U.S. Cavalry Regiment (Memorial) demonstration, history presentations, nature walks and cowboy songs. Refreshments will be available. Pets must be leashed.

To get to Brown Canyon Ranch, go West on Ramsey Canyon Road 2.1 miles to the hiking trailhead.

Keep on the dirt road for .8 mile to Brown Canyon Ranch parking lot. Admission is free.

For information, call 417.6960.

Firefighters’ biathlon and fun run

On Sunday, enjoy a biathlon with the Sierra Vista firefighters during a 3.1-mile run and 14-mile bike ride. The fun run is 5k. Awards will be presented. Check-in and late registration begins at 7:30 a.m., and the race begins at 9 a.m. at Sierra Vista Fire Station 263, 675 Guilio Cesare Ave., just south of Charleston Road. Biathlon registration is $30 per person; biathlon relay (two person) registration is $50 per team; the fun run is $15 per person.

For information, contact mirlmeier@cox.net or www.sierravistafirefighters.com.

All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.

Tanja Linton

Intelligence Senior Leader Conference maps out ‘way ahead’

Tanja Linton U.S. Army Intelligence Center of Excellence Commander Maj. Gen. Robert Ashley opened the Intelligence Senior Leaders Conference at the Intelligence System Integration Laboratory Dec. 10. Senior intelligence leaders...

HOLIDAY SAFETY MESSAGE

The end of the year is a great time to take a moment to reflect on our many accomplishments at Fort Huachuca and as an Army. I want to thank everyone for their hard work and dedication as we continue to build on our accomplishments and enhance America’s fighting force. Many of us will be...

What makes chaplain assistants unique

SAN ANTONIO — As the U.S. Army Installation Management Command chaplain assistant sergeant major, I am proud of all the chaplain assistants supporting our Soldiers, Families and Civilians. We are celebrating 105 years since the Army officially introduced this unique Military Occupational Specialty, or MOS. The Army officially created the position of chaplain assistant On...

Sgt. Jarred Woods, 1st Sustainment Command (Theater)

Looking for career progression? Join Civilian Expeditionary Workforce

Sgt. Jarred Woods, 1st Sustainment Command (Theater) Department of the Army Civilians inspect a base expeditionary targeting surveillance systems-combined tower before transferring it over to the Afghan National Army near Kabul...

Colonel Smith MS Panthers end perfect basketball season

It was an exciting, perfect season for the Smith Panthers, a boy’s basketball team at Colonel Smith Middle School. The 14-member team started the season winning 3-0 at the three season tournament. During the regular season the team kept winning, ending their games 9-0. They also won during the CAC Championship. “[That’s] 14-0 wins total,”...

Fort community donates items in big way

From left, Warren “Russ” Barnes, logistics officer, shows Deborah Bohn, budget analyst, and Sheri York, RAYTHEON site lead, how to ride one of 55 bikes the 2nd-13th Aviation Regiment collected for the Fort Huachuca toy drive this year. This week, chapel personnel distributed toys and clothing collected from many units and organizations on Fort Huachuca...

0 Comments

Be the first to comment!