Events

October 25, 2012

Community Briefs – October 25, 2012

Cochise College magazine invites submissions

The Cochise College literary magazine, “Mirage,” is now accepting submissions for its 2013 issue.

“Mirage” showcases high-quality art and literature produced by community members. Submissions are accepted from Cochise College students and residents of Cochise and Santa Cruz counties.

For submission guidelines and the address to send submissions, visit the Mirage online, found under “Student Publications” on the homepage of the Cochise College website, www.cochise.edu.

The priority deadline for the upcoming issue is Nov. 29.

Those interested in participating in the production of Mirage as students for credit or as volunteers should contact Cochise College, 515.0500.

Bookmobile coming to town

The bookmobile is coming to town, and the public is invited to see what it has to offer. For a map and schedule of bookmobile stops, go to http://cochise.lib.az.us/ or call the Cochise County Library District, 1.800.231.1574 or 432.8930.

FHCSC Annual Tour of Homes cancelled

Due to renovations occurring in many of Fort Huachuca’s historical homes, the Fort Huachuca Community Spouses Club Tour of Homes will not take place this year.

28th Annual Unique Boutique Bazaar

On Friday, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m., and on Oct. 27, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., enjoy viewing and shopping for handmade arts and crafts at Sierra Suites, 391 E. Fry Blvd, Sierra Vista. Admission is free.

For information, call 417.6960.

NamiBikes Cycling Event

The National Alliance on Mental Illness of Southeastern Arizona and Cenpatico of Arizona invite the public to join them in a ride to heighten mental illness awareness on Saturday.

Two road courses and multiple distances are offered. Enjoy vendors, information booths, music, entertainment and a bike rodeo for the young, as riders leave and return to Veterans’ Memorial Park.

Check-in begins at 6 a.m. Admission is $35 for ride registration. Events at the park are free.

For information and registration, contact 1.520.417.6960, 459.3228 or www.FightStigmaAndRide.org.

FH Chapel celebrates harvest

The Fort Huachuca Chaplains will host the annual Children’s Harvest Festival on Saturday, 3 – 7 p.m. on the grounds of the Main Post Chapel. Non-gory costumes are encouraged.

There will be games, two bounce castles, a climbing wall, face painting, hair coloring, pumpkin decorating and hot dogs, popcorn and drinks. Admission is free.

For more information, call 533-4753.

Fall Festival at Burger King

On Saturday, 1 – 3 p.m., Fort Huachuca’s Burger King will hold a Fall Festival for the entire family with special activities and a costume contest for youth 12 and under. The Fort Huachuca community is invited.

Sierra Vista Symphony performs

The Sierra Vista Symphony presents “Earthly Thrills and Other Worlds,” the first concert of its 18th season on Saturday, and will feature works by Aaron Copland, Ferde Grofe, Maurice Ravel and Gustav Holst. The pre-concert seminar begins at 6 p.m., and the performance starts at 7 p.m. in the Buena Performing Arts Center, 5225 E. Buena School Blvd. General admission is $25; preferred seating, $30; family with children, $30.For more information, call 417.6960 or 458.5189.

Brown Canyon Ranch Open House

The 7th annual Brown Canyon Ranch Open House takes place Saturday, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Brown Canyon Ranch. Events feature a B Troop 4th U.S. Cavalry Regiment (Memorial) demonstration, history presentations, nature walks and cowboy songs. Refreshments will be available. Pets must be leashed.

To get to Brown Canyon Ranch, go West on Ramsey Canyon Road 2.1 miles to the hiking trailhead.

Keep on the dirt road for .8 mile to Brown Canyon Ranch parking lot. Admission is free.

For information, call 417.6960.

Firefighters’ biathlon and fun run

On Sunday, enjoy a biathlon with the Sierra Vista firefighters during a 3.1-mile run and 14-mile bike ride. The fun run is 5k. Awards will be presented. Check-in and late registration begins at 7:30 a.m., and the race begins at 9 a.m. at Sierra Vista Fire Station 263, 675 Guilio Cesare Ave., just south of Charleston Road. Biathlon registration is $30 per person; biathlon relay (two person) registration is $50 per team; the fun run is $15 per person.

For information, contact mirlmeier@cox.net or www.sierravistafirefighters.com.

All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.

Ebola

Army researchers look for permanent end to Ebola virus

U.S. Army Edgewood Chemical Biological Center and U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases researchers, with help from Thermo Fisher Scientific, are using a Q Exactive Plus Mass Spectrometry System and a Dyne...

Health center gets new enlisted leadership

Sgt. Maj. Arnold Hill, the new sergeant major of Raymond W. Bliss Army Health Center, gives his remarks after a change of responsibility and retirement ceremony May 15. The Soldiers and staff of Raymond W. Bliss Army Health Center bid farewell to their senior enlisted leader, Sgt. Maj. Douglas Noetzleman, in a retirement and change...

213coc3_52015_lakosil

2/13th Aviation welcomes new commander, bids one farewell

Incoming Commander Lt. Col. Daniel Isabell, 2nd Battalion 13th Aviation Regiment, addresses the crowd as the new battalion commander during the change of command ceremony at Libby Army Airfield Wednesday.   Two Soldiers’...

Civ-of-the-Month-May

Civilian of the Month

Darrick Foote Civilian of the Month: Darrick Foote Agency: Network Enterprise Technology Command Position and duties: Financial management analyst supporting NETCOM’s major subordinate units How long at current assignment: 7 ...

Motorcycle safety is not just for May, but for entire year

Each year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration designates May as Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month which coincides with the beginning of motorcycle riding season for many Soldiers and also serves as the early kick-off for the annual “101 Critical Days of Summer Safety” program. Motorcycle accidents continue to be a leading cause of accidental death...

20150513_155409

Girl Scouts provide Community Library to FH residents

From left, Alexa Hopping, 12, Jordan Beatty, 12, and Lillian Snyder, 11, unload and place books on a bookshelf at the Mountain Vista Communities Community Center May 13. The seven members of Girl Scout Cadet Troop 603 collected...

0 Comments

Be the first to comment!