Events

October 25, 2012

Community Briefs – October 25, 2012

Cochise College magazine invites submissions

The Cochise College literary magazine, “Mirage,” is now accepting submissions for its 2013 issue.

“Mirage” showcases high-quality art and literature produced by community members. Submissions are accepted from Cochise College students and residents of Cochise and Santa Cruz counties.

For submission guidelines and the address to send submissions, visit the Mirage online, found under “Student Publications” on the homepage of the Cochise College website, www.cochise.edu.

The priority deadline for the upcoming issue is Nov. 29.

Those interested in participating in the production of Mirage as students for credit or as volunteers should contact Cochise College, 515.0500.

Bookmobile coming to town

The bookmobile is coming to town, and the public is invited to see what it has to offer. For a map and schedule of bookmobile stops, go to http://cochise.lib.az.us/ or call the Cochise County Library District, 1.800.231.1574 or 432.8930.

FHCSC Annual Tour of Homes cancelled

Due to renovations occurring in many of Fort Huachuca’s historical homes, the Fort Huachuca Community Spouses Club Tour of Homes will not take place this year.

28th Annual Unique Boutique Bazaar

On Friday, 9 a.m. – 7 p.m., and on Oct. 27, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., enjoy viewing and shopping for handmade arts and crafts at Sierra Suites, 391 E. Fry Blvd, Sierra Vista. Admission is free.

For information, call 417.6960.

NamiBikes Cycling Event

The National Alliance on Mental Illness of Southeastern Arizona and Cenpatico of Arizona invite the public to join them in a ride to heighten mental illness awareness on Saturday.

Two road courses and multiple distances are offered. Enjoy vendors, information booths, music, entertainment and a bike rodeo for the young, as riders leave and return to Veterans’ Memorial Park.

Check-in begins at 6 a.m. Admission is $35 for ride registration. Events at the park are free.

For information and registration, contact 1.520.417.6960, 459.3228 or www.FightStigmaAndRide.org.

FH Chapel celebrates harvest

The Fort Huachuca Chaplains will host the annual Children’s Harvest Festival on Saturday, 3 – 7 p.m. on the grounds of the Main Post Chapel. Non-gory costumes are encouraged.

There will be games, two bounce castles, a climbing wall, face painting, hair coloring, pumpkin decorating and hot dogs, popcorn and drinks. Admission is free.

For more information, call 533-4753.

Fall Festival at Burger King

On Saturday, 1 – 3 p.m., Fort Huachuca’s Burger King will hold a Fall Festival for the entire family with special activities and a costume contest for youth 12 and under. The Fort Huachuca community is invited.

Sierra Vista Symphony performs

The Sierra Vista Symphony presents “Earthly Thrills and Other Worlds,” the first concert of its 18th season on Saturday, and will feature works by Aaron Copland, Ferde Grofe, Maurice Ravel and Gustav Holst. The pre-concert seminar begins at 6 p.m., and the performance starts at 7 p.m. in the Buena Performing Arts Center, 5225 E. Buena School Blvd. General admission is $25; preferred seating, $30; family with children, $30.For more information, call 417.6960 or 458.5189.

Brown Canyon Ranch Open House

The 7th annual Brown Canyon Ranch Open House takes place Saturday, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Brown Canyon Ranch. Events feature a B Troop 4th U.S. Cavalry Regiment (Memorial) demonstration, history presentations, nature walks and cowboy songs. Refreshments will be available. Pets must be leashed.

To get to Brown Canyon Ranch, go West on Ramsey Canyon Road 2.1 miles to the hiking trailhead.

Keep on the dirt road for .8 mile to Brown Canyon Ranch parking lot. Admission is free.

For information, call 417.6960.

Firefighters’ biathlon and fun run

On Sunday, enjoy a biathlon with the Sierra Vista firefighters during a 3.1-mile run and 14-mile bike ride. The fun run is 5k. Awards will be presented. Check-in and late registration begins at 7:30 a.m., and the race begins at 9 a.m. at Sierra Vista Fire Station 263, 675 Guilio Cesare Ave., just south of Charleston Road. Biathlon registration is $30 per person; biathlon relay (two person) registration is $50 per team; the fun run is $15 per person.

For information, contact mirlmeier@cox.net or www.sierravistafirefighters.com.

All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.

TRADOC

‘Start Strong:’ Every Army career starts with TRADOC

FORT EUSTIS, Va. — Through U.S. Army Recruiting Command, U.S. Army Center for Initial Military Training and U.S. Army Cadet Command, U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command serves as the foundation for the “Start Strong” ...

Honoring Gold Star Mothers

As part of our commitment to never forget those Soldiers who gave all, the Army joins the Nation on Sunday in remembering the strength and sacrifice of its Gold Star Mothers. Since 1936, Congress has set aside the last Sunday in September to recognize the mothers of Service members who have died while defending our...

Remember Gold Star Mothers, Families

The term Gold Star Family is a modern reference that comes from the Service Flag. These flags/banners were first flown by Families during World War I. The flag included a blue star for every immediate Family member serving in the armed forces of the United States, during any period of war or hostilities in which...

New NCOER expected to more accurately assess Soldiers’ performance

WASHINGTON — On Aug. 1, the secretary of the Army approved the new Non-Commissioned Officer Evaluation Report. Implementation will be in September 2015. “The new NCOER will come out in five phases: inform, educate, train, roll-out and after-action review. Human Resources Command is beginning to build the NCOER into the Evaluation System now,” said Command...

Flooding1_20140918_S.Vasey

Water, water everywhere

Photos by Scott Vasey The remnants of Hurricane Odile brought significant rainfall to Fort Huachuca last week as shown in photos of Huachuca Creek Sept. 18. The storm made landfall as the strongest storm on record to hit Mexico...

_DSC9936

ISEC gains new senior enlisted leader

Timothy Toms Command Sgt. Maj. Ulysses Rayford, (center) U.S. Army Information Systems Engineering Command, accepts the sword of responsibility from Col. Patrick Kerr, ISEC commander (left), and Master Sgt. Christopher Paluzzi,...

0 Comments

Be the first to comment!