Events

November 1, 2012

Community Briefs – November 1, 2012

Cove closed for maintenance

The Sierra Vista Aquatic Center, The Cove, is closed for maintenance to Nov. 26. Annually, The Cove closes for two weeks for general maintenance. This year, more extensive maintenance is necessary.

Maintenance includes: refurbishing the support beams and re-concreting portions of the deck; replacing the observation deck railings; and refurbishing the slide stairs. Tile in the locker rooms and showers will be replaced. General maintenance includes cleaning, replacing light fixtures, checking vents and all other equipment.

For more information, call Laura, 417.4800.

Cochise College magazine invites submissions

The Cochise College literary magazine, “Mirage,” is now accepting submissions for its 2013 issue.

“Mirage” showcases high-quality art and literature produced by community members. Submissions are accepted from Cochise College students and residents of Cochise and Santa Cruz counties.

For submission guidelines and the address to send submissions, visit the Mirage online, found under “Student Publications” on the homepage of the Cochise College website, www.cochise.edu.

The priority deadline for the upcoming issue is Nov. 29.

Those interested in participating in the production of Mirage as students for credit or as volunteers should contact Cochise College, 515.0500.

Flycasters club to meet

The San Pedro Flycasters Club will meet tonight, 6:30 p.m., at the Thunder Mountain Community Church 4029 E. Golden Acres Dr. in Sierra Vista.

The guest speaker will be John Murphy from Tucson who will speak about fly fishing around the world. He has fished in New Zealand, France, Japan, Alaska and throughout the western states.

For more information and location directions, go to http://www.sanpedroflycasters.com/.

Learn to square dance

Sierra Vista’s Thunder Mountain Twirlers Square Dance Club is offering A-B-C Fun Dances, an easy introduction to square dancing, 6 – 7:30 p.m. on Friday nights through mid-January at the Sierra Vista Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall, 101 N. Lenzner Ave. Cost is $3 per person; the first night is free. Wear casual attire and comfortable shoes. Snacks are provided. Mainstream dancing is held every Friday from 7:30 – 9:30 p.m.

For more information, contact 227.7085 or email svtmt@cox.net.

FHCSC to host Holiday Bazaar

The public is invited to the Fort Huachuca Community Spouses’ Club holiday bazaar which will take place Saturday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., and Sunday, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. at Barnes Field House. Admission is free. More than 100 vendors will offer artwork, crafts and gifts for sale. There will be a beer garden, food vendors and big screen TVs showing college and pro football games.

For more information, go to forthuachucaspouses.com.

West End community clean-up

The West End community clean up will take place Saturday, 7:30 a.m. at the New Jerusalem Community Church, 479 Wilcox Dr. in Sierra Vista. The project focus will be to clean up the Stanley Apartment Complex. Food and water will be provided.

For more information, call 378.7243.

Run, walk on Nov. 3

The 8th Annual 5k Veterans Day Run and 2k Fun Walk takes place on Saturday at 8 a.m. Cost is $14 per person ($16 the day of the race). The 2K Fun Walk is $10 per person ($12 the day of the walk). Runners and walkers who pre-register will receive a race t-shirt. First-, second-, and third-place individual awards will be presented in eight male and female age divisions. Race and walk start and end at the Oscar Yrun Community Center tennis court parking lot. Register at any Leisure Services facility.

For additional information, call 417.6980.

Military camps, forts featured in program

The Sierra Vista Historical Society will present “Military Camps and Forts of Southern Arizona: 1856 to 1916” with Stephen Siemsen (Burnside Post, Grand Army of the Republic) as part of its Amazing Arizona series. Siemsen will give an overview of the many military camps and forts that were established in what is today Cochise County. The program takes place on Tuesday, 2 p.m., at the Ethel Burger Center, 2950 E. Tacoma St., Sierra Vista. This event is open to the public and is free of charge.

For more information, call 417.6980.

PFLAG to meet Wednesday

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays will hold its monthly meeting in Sierra Vista, Wednesday, 6:30 p.m., at the Unitarian Universalist Church office, 125 S. Second St. (just north of the SSVEC building.) PFLAG is a national non-profit organization with more than 200,000 members and supporters and more than 500 chapters located in all 50 states. In a confidential setting, members provide support and information to counter myths and misinformation about sexual orientation and gender identity.

Everyone is welcome.

For more information, contact 255.0423 or go to www.pflag.org.

Attend plaque dedication

Join the Sierra Vista Historical Society in dedicating its new historical plaque for its “A New Twist on ‘Then’; Sierra Vista’s Historical Places.” Learn how Sierra Vista used its air raid sirens to serve and protect the community, years after the Cold War, to summon volunteer firefighters before modern dispatching systems were available to this small community. A dedication ceremony is scheduled for Nov. 13, 10 a.m., at Veterans’ Memorial Park on Fry Boulevard.

For more information, call 458.4571.

Golf tournament announced

The Tucson Veterans Affairs Committee will sponsor a golf tournament at General Blanchard Golf Course, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base on Nov. 17 at 8:30 a.m. Cost for the four-player scramble is $75 per golfer. Prizes will be awarded for closest to the pin and longest drive. Deadline for registration is Nov. 10.

For information, call 1.520.730.6069.

CANTER volunteer opportunity

Horse lovers who have a morning each week to volunteer are invited to join CANTER, which needs horse handlers and side walkers to support their therapeutic riding program for children and adults with disabilities. CANTER operates Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday mornings at 7388 Chief Joseph Dr. off Moson Road, Hereford.

For more information, contact 459.4868 or www.canteraz.org.

Improve public speaking

Those interested in improving public speaking and leadership skills should consider visiting the Huachuca Toastmasters — a non-profit chapter of Toastmasters International, and recent recipient of the Select Distinguished Toastmasters Club award. Meetings convene at 11:30 a.m. and adjourn at 12:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Thursday of each month at the corner of Christy and Adair on Fort Huachuca.

For more information, contact 538.4910 or http://huachuca.freetoasthost.org.

Hike on Mondays

The Monday Hikers group hikes to areas throughout Southeastern Arizona. Interested persons should meet in the Sears parking lot at The Mall at Sierra Vista, 7 a.m. on Mondays. Admission is free.

For more information, call 803.0207.

See owls on Mondays

Join the weekly bird walk along the San Pedro River on Gordon Lewis’ property and see burrowing owls.

For time and directions, call 366.5560.

Join in on Tuesday hikes

The Tuesday hiking group hikes to areas throughout Southeastern Arizona. Admission is free.

For a list of upcoming hikes, contact 458.2008 or http://members.cox.net/lou_edwards/.

Study birds on Wednesdays

Join the docents of The Friends of the San Pedro River on Wednesdays as they lead Bird Walks along the San Pedro River. These approximately four-hour walks begin at 7 a.m. Meet at the San Pedro House, 9800 State Route 90 East, Sierra Vista. Admission is free, but donations are accepted.

For more information, call 508.4445.

Walk along San Pedro River

Join docents on a two-mile interpretive walk along the river at 9 a.m. every Saturday, from the San Pedro House, 9800 E. Highway 90, Sierra Vista. Admission is free, but donations are accepted.

For more information, contact 459.2555 or www.sanpedroriver.org.

Shop local Farmers Market

Enjoy locally grown produce as well as locally raised meats and eggs, homemade baked goods, salsas, jams, honeys, natural body care, crafts and more at the Sierra Vista Farmers Market. There are two markets to choose from. The Thursday market is held at the northwest corner of Wilcox Drive and Carmichael Avenue. The Saturday location is the southeast corner of Charleston Road and the State Route 90 Bypass, just north of Target. Hours for both markets are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., year-round.

For more information, call 678.2638 or go to www.sierravistafarmersmarket.com.

Hike on Weekends

The Huachuca Hiking Club meets at 7 p.m., the second Tuesday of each month, Cochise County Conference Center, 4001 E. Foothills Dr., Sierra Vista, in the small conference room. The club hikes on weekends.

For information, call 234.7310, or go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hhc-az.

See birds on San Pedro River

All birdwatchers are invited to join a two- to three-hour field trip onto private property to view riparian habitat, including burrowing owl roosts. Bring water, sunscreen and wear appropriate clothing. Bird watching takes place at 8 a.m. every Monday. Pull-off just west of the bridge on the north side of State Route 92, at Gate 10663, Palominas. Admission is free, but donations are accepted.

For information, call 366.5560.

Adopt a shelter animal

If planning to add a pet to the family, consider adopting one from the Nancy J. Brua Animal Care Facility or a rescue group rather than from another source, suggests the Cochise County Humane Society. This will help give unwanted animals a new home and reduce the number of animals produced through puppy mills.

For more information about pet adoption, call 458.4151.

Help the elderly

The Volunteer Interfaith Caregiver Program is a community resource for the elderly, disabled and the caregivers of aging parents. VICaP volunteers provide free transportation and services to help the elderly live independently.

If interested in becoming a VICaP volunteer, call 459.8146.

So you got that new dog …

Now, the animal needs to go through training and socialization.

Obedience training opens up a line of communication between owners and dogs. It also increases the bond between human and pet, and promotes a better relationship.

Training eliminates bad behavior such as jumping, running out the door, digging and chewing.

Training is available throughout Cochise County. Check the Cochise County’s Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/CochiseCountyHumaneSociety or email c.chs@live.com.

Watch birds at EOP

Join an approximately 3-hour public bird watching tour, led by docents of several bird watching organizations, at the Environmental Operations Park every Sunday. Tours are limited to 22 people on a first-come, first-served basis.

Tours leave from State Route 90 between Mile Marker 324 and 325, Sierra Vista, at 8 a.m. Admission is free, but donations are accepted.

For more information, contact 432.1388 or www.sabo.org.

Local animal shelters seek used items

With cooler evening temperatures in Cochise County, the local animal shelters seek blankets to keep their animals warm. Those with clean old blankets and towels are invited to recycle them at a local animal shelter which is accepting other donations, as well.

Shelter contact numbers are:

Benson Animal Shelter, 586.3600

Bisbee Animal Shelter, 432.6020

Huachuca City Animal Shelter, 456.1337

Sierra Vista Animal Shelter, 458.4151

All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.

Clay and Laura Murray

First major Arizona wildfire of 2014 burns in Huachuca Mountains

Clay and Laura Murray This photo of the Brown Fire was taken on Monday evening from Mott Circle on Fort Huachuca. As of Fort Huachuca Scout press time Thursday, firefighters were still working to contain it. A wildfire, the Bro...

FH renewable energy project to provide approximately 25 percent of installation’s annual electricity requirement

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The U.S. Army announced Monday plans to start development of a solar array that will provide about 25 percent of the annual installation electricity requirement of Fort Huachuca. “This will be the largest solar array in the Department of Defense on a military installation,” according to the Honorable Katherine Hammack, assistant secretary...

2014 Army Earth Day message

On April 22, the United States Army joins the Nation in celebrating Earth Day. Army Earth Day provides us an opportunity to renew our commitment to stewardship of the environment and the lands where our Soldiers, Families and Civilians train, live and work. Army Earth Day aims to inspire awareness and appreciation of the environment....

Gabrielle Kuholski

Post celebrates Days of Remembrance with observance ceremony, discussion panels

Gabrielle Kuholski William Heidner, museum curator for the Museum Activity and Heritage Center of the U.S. Army Yuma Proving Ground, Yuma, Ariz., receives a Buffalo Soldier statuette from Col. Jeffrey Jennings, U.S. Army Intell...

Maranda Flynn

AAFES making small changes for customer satisfaction

Maranda Flynn L&A Southern Style Bar-B-Q, currently located inside Armed Forces Bank, will be relocating to the food court inside the Fort Huachuca Exchange in the next few months. It will replace Manchu Wok, which is clos...

Courtesy of Glenn Gaskins

Son of Army retirees is top of his league

Courtesy of Glenn Gaskins Najee Gaskins, 16, participates in the Arizona Junior Fall Classic, a baseball showcase held last October in Peoria, Ariz. Playing second base position, he ranks number four in the state and 60th in th...

0 Comments

Be the first to comment!