Local

March 15, 2013

Purgatory – No longer just a place

Kathy Thomson, ASAP, and Maranda Flynn, Staff Writer

On April 20, 2012, Purgatory Vodka, an alcoholic beverage containing hemp byproducts, became available for purchase throughout the United States, including at retailers on select military installations — until recently.

Brewed by Alaska Distillery Brewery, this vodka is distilled from a mix of 20 percent of denatured hemp seed from British Columbia, Canada, and 80 percent of barley seeds distilled from a multi-distilling and charcoal filtering process. According to their website, “The hemp seed used in Purgatory Vodka goes through a highly scrutinized (and regulated) process to ensure that no tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is contained in the product. Although the use, importation or manufacturing of marijuana is illegal in most of the United States, hemp by-products are not themselves illegal.”

However, Army Regulation 600-85, The Army Substance Abuse Program, Chapter 4-2p states, “this regulation prohibits Soldiers from using hemp or products containing hemp oil.” The failure of active duty personnel to comply with the prohibition of the use of these products is a violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, or UCMJ.

What must be stressed among military personnel is that even though Purgatory Vodka is said to be free of THC, and even though hemp by-products are not illegal in the civilian world, this gives zero justification to those in the military. It is the ‘prohibited use’ that Soldiers need to remember. Drinking the vodka will not nullify a positive drug test.

“The regulation is clear. Soldiers are not to involve themselves with any product that has hemp in it. Knowing that, if they choose to engage in using a substance that has it, they are automatically breaking the rules,” explained Kevin Mills, Fort Huachuca Army Substance Abuse Program manager.

While this product has been sold on other military installations, the Fort Huachuca Exchange General Manager Jeff Willis stated, “The Fort Huachuca Exchanges have never sold Purgatory Vodka or carried it in any of its facilities. [Army and Air Force Exchange Service] has taken action worldwide and has removed this product from the shelves.”

Mills added that even though Purgatory Vodka is available off post, the responsibility falls on the Soldier to ensure they are not ingesting a beverage that contains a prohibited substance. The label on the bottle clearly states “Distilled with Hemp Seed,” leaving no question of its contents.

For more information or questions, call the Army Substance Abuse Program office, 533.2071.

All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.

Natalie Lakosil

Annual Installation Awards Banquet honors top personnel

Natalie Lakosil From left, Maj. Gen. Robert Ashley, commanding general, U.S. Army Intelligence Center of Excellence and Fort Huachuca stands with Fort Huachuca’s 2014 winners: Non-commissioned Officer of the Year, Sgt. Brya...

2015 Army Emergency Relief Annual Campaign

Since its founding during World War ll, Army Emergency Relief (AER) has provided $1.7 billion in interest-free loans and grants to 3.6 million Soldiers in the active component, the Army National Guard, the Army Reserve and among the ranks of the retired. AER financial assistance provides timely care and support to Wounded Warriors, Surviving Spouses...

Stephanie Caffall

Uncasing ceremony formally welcomes 40th ESB Soldiers home

Stephanie Caffall 40th Expeditionary Signal Battalion Command Sgt. Maj. John Reinburg, left, and Battalion Commander Lt. Col. David Thomas begin the uncasing of the battalion colors. The colors signify the homecoming of the 40t...

Courtesy of André Douglas

Civilian Expeditionary Workforce offers unique development opportunity to IMCOM employee

Courtesy of André Douglas The Bagram Air Base installation management team — made up of active duty Service members, civilian employees and contractors — pauses for a commemorative photo. SAN ANTONIO — Joining the Civili...

FH schools to celebrate National Bike to School Day March 06

Students from Colonel Johnston, General Myer and Colonel Smith Middle Schools will be riding or walking to school on March 6 along with parents, teachers and community leaders. The event will begin from 7 to 8:30 a.m. with youth, parents and community leaders riding or walking from parking lot locations listed below or from home....

CWFC designed to improve employee morale

There’s an organization on post designed to enhance the quality of life for Fort Huachuca federal Civilian employees during and outside of duty hours. The Civilian Welfare Fund Council, or CWFC, Fort Huachuca, is a Category IV Non-appropriated Fund Instrumentality with proceeds from concessionaire commissions. Its purpose is to manage the Civilian Welfare Funds, or...

0 Comments

Be the first to comment!