Local

March 15, 2013

Purgatory – No longer just a place

Kathy Thomson, ASAP, and Maranda Flynn, Staff Writer

On April 20, 2012, Purgatory Vodka, an alcoholic beverage containing hemp byproducts, became available for purchase throughout the United States, including at retailers on select military installations — until recently.

Brewed by Alaska Distillery Brewery, this vodka is distilled from a mix of 20 percent of denatured hemp seed from British Columbia, Canada, and 80 percent of barley seeds distilled from a multi-distilling and charcoal filtering process. According to their website, “The hemp seed used in Purgatory Vodka goes through a highly scrutinized (and regulated) process to ensure that no tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is contained in the product. Although the use, importation or manufacturing of marijuana is illegal in most of the United States, hemp by-products are not themselves illegal.”

However, Army Regulation 600-85, The Army Substance Abuse Program, Chapter 4-2p states, “this regulation prohibits Soldiers from using hemp or products containing hemp oil.” The failure of active duty personnel to comply with the prohibition of the use of these products is a violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, or UCMJ.

What must be stressed among military personnel is that even though Purgatory Vodka is said to be free of THC, and even though hemp by-products are not illegal in the civilian world, this gives zero justification to those in the military. It is the ‘prohibited use’ that Soldiers need to remember. Drinking the vodka will not nullify a positive drug test.

“The regulation is clear. Soldiers are not to involve themselves with any product that has hemp in it. Knowing that, if they choose to engage in using a substance that has it, they are automatically breaking the rules,” explained Kevin Mills, Fort Huachuca Army Substance Abuse Program manager.

While this product has been sold on other military installations, the Fort Huachuca Exchange General Manager Jeff Willis stated, “The Fort Huachuca Exchanges have never sold Purgatory Vodka or carried it in any of its facilities. [Army and Air Force Exchange Service] has taken action worldwide and has removed this product from the shelves.”

Mills added that even though Purgatory Vodka is available off post, the responsibility falls on the Soldier to ensure they are not ingesting a beverage that contains a prohibited substance. The label on the bottle clearly states “Distilled with Hemp Seed,” leaving no question of its contents.

For more information or questions, call the Army Substance Abuse Program office, 533.2071.

All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.

U.S. Army IMCOM photo by Amanda S. Rodriguez

Civilian mentor program shapes Army installation management’s future

U.S. Army IMCOM photo by Amanda S. Rodriguez U.S. Army Installation Management Command mentors and mentees work on teambuilding skills, building a block tower in total silience, during the IMCOM Headquarters Centralized Mentori...

DoD

DFAS reminds DoD employees to review tax withholdings

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service gave U.S. Department of Defense employees a friendly reminder to review withholdings from their paycheck, in an email last week. If a large tax refund was received or you owed a large amount in taxes during the recent tax season, you may need to look over your federal and...

Odierno: Information, instability travel at similar speeds

ASPEN, Colo. – As the world has become more interconnected and information travels faster than ever before, it also has become more unpredictable and dangerous, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno said here last night. “People now understand more about what other people might have, what they might want, how much control they want...

Gabrielle Kuholski

Post children attend Vacation Bible School week

Gabrielle Kuholski Pictured with the microphone, Colleen Sherod, 20, Vacation Bible School volunteer, emcees a review of the week’s religious lessons as VBS students hold up posters of their “Bible buddies.” The activity ...

Maranda Flynn

Seifert School-Age Center offers fun for kids, piece-of-mind for parents

Maranda Flynn Selene Ferro, 9, Jaliah Eldridge, 7, and Malachi Bergstrom, 7, build a puzzle train city in the creative play area of the first through third grade room at the Seifert School-Age Center. Creative play allows child...

Coronado National Forest fire crew assists with Oregon firefighting efforts

TUCSON, Ariz. – An initial attack firefighting crew from the Coronado National Forest has been assigned to firefighting duties on the Logging Unit Fires north of Warm Springs, Oregon. Coronado Crew 5 was ordered as a firefighting resource on July 16, 2014. The crew departed July 17, arriving at the fires on July 18. Crew...

0 Comments

Be the first to comment!