Local

March 15, 2013

Purgatory – No longer just a place

Kathy Thomson, ASAP, and Maranda Flynn, Staff Writer

On April 20, 2012, Purgatory Vodka, an alcoholic beverage containing hemp byproducts, became available for purchase throughout the United States, including at retailers on select military installations — until recently.

Brewed by Alaska Distillery Brewery, this vodka is distilled from a mix of 20 percent of denatured hemp seed from British Columbia, Canada, and 80 percent of barley seeds distilled from a multi-distilling and charcoal filtering process. According to their website, “The hemp seed used in Purgatory Vodka goes through a highly scrutinized (and regulated) process to ensure that no tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is contained in the product. Although the use, importation or manufacturing of marijuana is illegal in most of the United States, hemp by-products are not themselves illegal.”

However, Army Regulation 600-85, The Army Substance Abuse Program, Chapter 4-2p states, “this regulation prohibits Soldiers from using hemp or products containing hemp oil.” The failure of active duty personnel to comply with the prohibition of the use of these products is a violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, or UCMJ.

What must be stressed among military personnel is that even though Purgatory Vodka is said to be free of THC, and even though hemp by-products are not illegal in the civilian world, this gives zero justification to those in the military. It is the ‘prohibited use’ that Soldiers need to remember. Drinking the vodka will not nullify a positive drug test.

“The regulation is clear. Soldiers are not to involve themselves with any product that has hemp in it. Knowing that, if they choose to engage in using a substance that has it, they are automatically breaking the rules,” explained Kevin Mills, Fort Huachuca Army Substance Abuse Program manager.

While this product has been sold on other military installations, the Fort Huachuca Exchange General Manager Jeff Willis stated, “The Fort Huachuca Exchanges have never sold Purgatory Vodka or carried it in any of its facilities. [Army and Air Force Exchange Service] has taken action worldwide and has removed this product from the shelves.”

Mills added that even though Purgatory Vodka is available off post, the responsibility falls on the Soldier to ensure they are not ingesting a beverage that contains a prohibited substance. The label on the bottle clearly states “Distilled with Hemp Seed,” leaving no question of its contents.

For more information or questions, call the Army Substance Abuse Program office, 533.2071.

All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.

Jolene Cooper, MVC

Homes await military Families: MVC has available housing in most post neighborhoods

Jolene Cooper, MVC A currently unoccupied home in Miles Manor 1 is available to a Family of a Service member E1 through E-6. Unlike most homes in that housing area, it is a single unit. All nearby homes are located less than a ...

Presidential Proclamation — National Native American Heritage Month, 2014

NATIONAL NATIVE AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH, 2014 BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA A PROCLAMATION Every year, our Nation pauses to reflect on the profound ways the First Americans have shaped our country’s character and culture. The first stewards of our environment, early voices for the values that define our Nation, and models...

Garrison commander conducts Ebola Awareness Town Halls

The Fort Huachuca U.S. Army Garrison commander conducted two Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) Awareness Town Halls Nov. 13 at Murr Community Center to ensure all Installation Management Command (IMCOM) personnel are knowledgeable about the disease, its origins and spread. Col. Thomas A. Boone addressed attendees about the mandatory IMCOM Ebola training requirement, and said the...

IMCOM unveils plan for 2025 and beyond

SAN ANTONIO — The U.S. Army Installation Management Command released “IMCOM 2025 and Beyond,” a new campaign plan operationalizing the commanding general’s vision for the organization. This plan provides a roadmap for IMCOM’s future and serves as a change management document that focuses the command’s collective efforts, prioritizes resources and continues the exchange of informatio...

Recycle cooking oil, grease after Thanksgiving Day

After you’re done with the turkey and stuffing next week, take cooking oil and grease to be recycled at one of the two City of Sierra Vista year-round grease collection sites, free of charge. In previous years, Sierra Vista has set up a special grease collection site on the day after Thanksgiving. “This year, we’re...

Gary Sheftick

Native Americans place special honor in military service

Gary Sheftick Mary Hudetz, editor-in-chief of Native Peoples Magazine and president of the Native American Journalists Association, speaks to reporters and students at the Defense Information School, during the Defense Media Ac...

0 Comments

Be the first to comment!