Local

March 15, 2013

Purgatory – No longer just a place

Kathy Thomson, ASAP, and Maranda Flynn, Staff Writer

On April 20, 2012, Purgatory Vodka, an alcoholic beverage containing hemp byproducts, became available for purchase throughout the United States, including at retailers on select military installations — until recently.

Brewed by Alaska Distillery Brewery, this vodka is distilled from a mix of 20 percent of denatured hemp seed from British Columbia, Canada, and 80 percent of barley seeds distilled from a multi-distilling and charcoal filtering process. According to their website, “The hemp seed used in Purgatory Vodka goes through a highly scrutinized (and regulated) process to ensure that no tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is contained in the product. Although the use, importation or manufacturing of marijuana is illegal in most of the United States, hemp by-products are not themselves illegal.”

However, Army Regulation 600-85, The Army Substance Abuse Program, Chapter 4-2p states, “this regulation prohibits Soldiers from using hemp or products containing hemp oil.” The failure of active duty personnel to comply with the prohibition of the use of these products is a violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, or UCMJ.

What must be stressed among military personnel is that even though Purgatory Vodka is said to be free of THC, and even though hemp by-products are not illegal in the civilian world, this gives zero justification to those in the military. It is the ‘prohibited use’ that Soldiers need to remember. Drinking the vodka will not nullify a positive drug test.

“The regulation is clear. Soldiers are not to involve themselves with any product that has hemp in it. Knowing that, if they choose to engage in using a substance that has it, they are automatically breaking the rules,” explained Kevin Mills, Fort Huachuca Army Substance Abuse Program manager.

While this product has been sold on other military installations, the Fort Huachuca Exchange General Manager Jeff Willis stated, “The Fort Huachuca Exchanges have never sold Purgatory Vodka or carried it in any of its facilities. [Army and Air Force Exchange Service] has taken action worldwide and has removed this product from the shelves.”

Mills added that even though Purgatory Vodka is available off post, the responsibility falls on the Soldier to ensure they are not ingesting a beverage that contains a prohibited substance. The label on the bottle clearly states “Distilled with Hemp Seed,” leaving no question of its contents.

For more information or questions, call the Army Substance Abuse Program office, 533.2071.

All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.

Scout-1954

FINAL ISSUE: Scout newspaper prints final edition after more than 61 years

Times are changing. Gone are the days when a kid stood on the corner waving the newspaper and crying out the latest headline. Gone are the days when news could wait until the presses had finished rolling. Today news is instanta...

Jennifer-Caprioli

Scout on the Street

Joan Vasey Managing Editor As managing editor of The Fort Huachuca Scout for the last eight years, I’ve seen a lot of transitions as military and civilian personnel have come and gone, including Scout reporters. Threaded thro...

Plan now for gate changes beginning Aug. 3

Significant changes to installation access at Fort Huachuca will begin Aug. 3 including a return to the original gate names and background checks for all individuals 18 years and older without an approved form of DOD identification. What is now known as the Main Gate, will return to its historical name, Buffalo Soldier Gate, and...

Julianne E. Cochran

Help wanted: Enlisted aides in valued roles for Army leaders

Julianne E. Cochran An Enlisted Aide Training Course instructor shows a student the specifics of setting up a general officer’s uniform during a practical exercise. WASHINGTON – Enlisted aides are considered an elite group ...

Stephanie Caffall

Vacation Bible School attracts 130 attendees this year

Stephanie Caffall From left, Trey Roberts, 10, John Pecic, 9, and Kyla gross, 7, hold Bible point signs during snack time. The Bible point on July 16 was God has the power to forgive. Fort Huachuca’s Main Post Chapel hosted i...

0 Comments

Be the first to comment!