DoD

September 27, 2013

Memo prepares DoD employees for government shutdown

Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON – Although Defense Department officials believe a government shutdown can be avoided when the new fiscal year begins Oct. 1, they want DoD employees to be prepared for the possibility, Deputy Defense Secretary Ash Carter said in a memo issued to the workforce Sept. 23.

The fiscal year ends Sept. 30, and Congress has not passed a budget. If Congress does not approve a budget or pass a continuing resolution, the portions of the government funded via appropriated funds will be forced to close.

“The department remains hopeful that a government shutdown will be averted,” Carter wrote in the memo. “The administration strongly believes that a lapse in funding should not occur and is working with Congress to find a solution.”

Congress still can prevent a lapse in appropriations, but “prudent management requires that we be prepared for all contingencies, including the possibility that a lapse could occur at the end of the month,” the deputy secretary wrote.

The absence of funding would mean a number of government activities would cease. “While military personnel would continue in a normal duty status, a large number of our civilian employees would be temporarily furloughed,” Carter said. “To prepare for this possibility, we are updating our contingency plans for executing an orderly shutdown of activities that would be affected by a lapse in appropriations.”

President Barack Obama and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel understand the hardships such a shutdown could cause civilian employees, the deputy secretary wrote.

“The administration strongly believes that a lapse in funding should not occur and is working with Congress to find a solution,” Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters today. “The secretary has made it clear that budget uncertainty is not helpful for us in executing our budget efficiently, and a shutdown would be the worst type of uncertainty. A shutdown would put severe hardships on an already stressed workforce, and is totally unnecessary.”

Carter vowed to provide more information as it becomes available. The Office of Personnel Management’s website has more information.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
DoD
Staff Sgt. Carlin Leslie, USAF

Air Force: AF receives top honors for Special Victims’ Counsel Program

Staff Sgt. Carlin Leslie, USAF Members of the Air Force Judge Advocate General’s Corp watch their award video during the 2014 Justice Department’s National Crime Victims’ Rights Service Awards ceremony April 9, at the Dep...
 
 
DoD
Tanja Linton

DoD salutes children during Military Child Month

Tanja Linton Two and 1/2 year old Avie views the Sierra Vista Farmer’s Market from the arms of her dad, Capt. Jeremy Larson of Company A, 304th Military Intelligence Battalion, at Veterans’ Memorial Park April 3. This month...
 
 
DoD

Air Force: Some Airmen will get retirement option

WASHINGTON — A limited number of Airmen who received notice that their previously approved applications for early retirement had been declined will be given the option to retire if they still desire to do so, officials announced Tuesday. “We are aware that some Airmen received erroneous [temporary early retirement authority, or TERA] approvals and were...
 

 
DoD

Fox challenges Marines, Navy to innovate

WASHINGTON — The Navy and Marine Corps need to think about how to be more innovative, including leveraging experiences learned from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, in the face of budget challenges that could become more acute, acting Deputy Defense Secretary Christine Fox said Monday. “Whether sequestration returns or not, the reality is we’re...
 
 
DoD
Air-Force

Air Force: Cyberspace milestone reached for AF Network

Gen. William Shelton meets members of the Air Force Network Integration Center migration project management team Monday, during his visit at Scott Air Force Base, Ill. During his visit, Shelton met the people who were integral ...
 
 
DoD

Marines: ‘Will do same with less,’ Corps commandant says

WASHINGTON — Since the founding of the Marine Corps in 1775, Marines have answered the nation’s call, faithfully protecting the American people and maintaining a world-class standard of military excellence, the Marine Corps commandant said Tuesday. “Nothing has changed. We will continue to do the same in the future,” Gen. James Amos said at a...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin