Commentary

October 4, 2013

CFC director encourages employee, leader involvement

Elaine Kaplan
Acting Director, 2013 Combined Federal Campaign

As we prepare for the 2013 Combined Federal Campaign solicitation period, which [began] Sept. 1, I want to express my appreciation for the support you and your employees have shown for this charitable program. Last year almost one million Federal employees pledged $258.3 million to participating local, national and international charities. This is just one more example of Federal employees’ commitment to improving the quality of life for all.

Your personal support will go a long way towards ensuring the campaign’s success within your department/agency this year. Below are some ways that you can make a difference.

Suggested Email to Employees

Please consider sending the following email message to all employees.
The Combined Federal Campaign is the world’s largest and most successful workplace giving campaign. Since its creation in 1961, it has raised over $7 billion for the charities designated by Federal employees. During the 2013 CFC solicitation period, I encourage you to consider giving through the CFC because:

• payroll deduction lets you spread your contribution across the entire year;
  • it gives your charity a steady source of revenue throughout the year;
  • it has low overhead costs, so more money goes to your charity;
  • it is convenient for you (in most cases, you can pledge online) and provides you with tax records; and
  • it shows all Americans that Federal employees care about our communities.

You will have an opportunity to make a pledge this fall. You can determine how much to contribute and which participating organization receives your contribution. Even the smallest of donations can go a long way to making a difference in someone’s life.
To learn more about the CFC, talk to the CFC keyworkers who will be distributing the Charity List and pledge forms in your office.

Encourage Volunteer Support to Administer the CFC

Volunteers from your department/agency matter – without them, the CFC would simply not occur. Further, the involvement of Federal employees as CFC representatives is a key reason that the CFC has historically been one of the most cost-effective fundraising mechanisms for nonprofit organizations.
I recommend allowing your employees to serve as CFC Loaned Executives, Coordinators, and Keyworkers to the extent possible during the campaign period as well as encouraging employees to serve on their Local Federal Coordinating Committees. These positions are often a great way to develop professional skills such as public speaking, financial accountability and building public-private sector partnerships, among others. Since the CFC is a recognized Federal program, it is not appropriate to place these employees on leave or make employees take leave to administer the CFC within your agency.

Suggested Email to Senior Executives, Supervisors, and Managers

I also encourage you to send the following message to your senior executives, supervisors, and managers located at your headquarters and regional/field offices:
The Combined Federal Campaign is the world’s largest workplace giving campaign. Last year, Federal employees raised over $258 million on behalf of charitable organizations across the country and overseas. I request your assistance to ensure that employees have the opportunity to give to the participating charities of their choice again this year.
The CFC would not be successful without the administrative support of Federal employees at each department/agency. Federal employees may serve as CFC Loaned Executives, Coordinators, and Keyworkers to the extent possible during the campaign period to ensure a smooth campaign is administered with little or no disruption to the business of the department/agency. I encourage you to provide the local CFC office with resources, as available, to assist in a successful CFC at your location. Please contact [insert contact name and phone number/email] if you can provide staff to help administer the CFC at your location.
In addition, I encourage you to consider volunteering to serve on the Local Federal Coordinating Committee (LFCC) in your CFC region. To do so, please go to OPM’s website at www.opm.gov/cfc/Search/Locator.asp to find the LFCC point of contact in your area. The LFCC can provide you with more information on how to volunteer for this oversight role.
Since the CFC is a recognized Federal program, it is not appropriate to place these employees on leave or make employees take leave to administer the CFC within your agency. Thank you for your consideration and support of the CFC.

CFC Charity Fairs

Please consider holding several charity fairs at your locations throughout the solicitation period. These give Federal employees the opportunity to learn more about the participating charities directly from representatives of those organizations. We have found this to be one of the most effective ways to engage potential donors. Your local CFC office can provide more information on how to set up a charity fair and/or invite charitable organizations.

CFC Geographic Boundaries

The CFC comprises 160 geographic regions throughout the U.S. and overseas. Each region sets its own campaign dates and has a unique listing of local charities. Federal employees may only participate in the campaign area where their official duty station is located. Please ensure any agency-wide campaign communications do not specify information or include links to CFC websites that may not be applicable to all employees. I encourage you to contact the Office of CFC at (202) 606-2564 or cfc@opm.gov for more information.
Thank you for your support of the CFC.

All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.

U.S. Army IMCOM photo by Amanda S. Rodriguez

Civilian mentor program shapes Army installation management’s future

U.S. Army IMCOM photo by Amanda S. Rodriguez U.S. Army Installation Management Command mentors and mentees work on teambuilding skills, building a block tower in total silience, during the IMCOM Headquarters Centralized Mentori...

DoD

DFAS reminds DoD employees to review tax withholdings

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service gave U.S. Department of Defense employees a friendly reminder to review withholdings from their paycheck, in an email last week. If a large tax refund was received or you owed a large amount in taxes during the recent tax season, you may need to look over your federal and...

Odierno: Information, instability travel at similar speeds

ASPEN, Colo. – As the world has become more interconnected and information travels faster than ever before, it also has become more unpredictable and dangerous, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno said here last night. “People now understand more about what other people might have, what they might want, how much control they want...

Gabrielle Kuholski

Post children attend Vacation Bible School week

Gabrielle Kuholski Pictured with the microphone, Colleen Sherod, 20, Vacation Bible School volunteer, emcees a review of the week’s religious lessons as VBS students hold up posters of their “Bible buddies.” The activity ...

Maranda Flynn

Seifert School-Age Center offers fun for kids, piece-of-mind for parents

Maranda Flynn Selene Ferro, 9, Jaliah Eldridge, 7, and Malachi Bergstrom, 7, build a puzzle train city in the creative play area of the first through third grade room at the Seifert School-Age Center. Creative play allows child...

Coronado National Forest fire crew assists with Oregon firefighting efforts

TUCSON, Ariz. – An initial attack firefighting crew from the Coronado National Forest has been assigned to firefighting duties on the Logging Unit Fires north of Warm Springs, Oregon. Coronado Crew 5 was ordered as a firefighting resource on July 16, 2014. The crew departed July 17, arriving at the fires on July 18. Crew...

0 Comments

Be the first to comment!