DoD

February 14, 2014

DoD to mandate documentation for lost, stolen CAC cards

Army Sgt. 1st Class Tyrone Marshall Jr.
American Forces Press Service 

WASHINGTON — Later this year, the Department of Defense will begin fully enforcing a previously optional policy regarding the reissuance of lost or stolen common access cards, a defense official said here Tuesday.

Sam Yousef, a program manager for identity and benefits policy at the Defense Human Resources Activity, discussed an update to the current common access card, or CAC issuance policy during an interview with American Forces Press Service and the Pentagon Channel.

“Beginning in late March [or] early April of this year, we are going to begin fully enforcing current common access card policy, which will require individuals to bring supporting documentation if they have had their ID cards lost or stolen,” he said. “If you have your card lost or stolen, you should work with your local security office or the individual sponsoring you for that ID card.”

People requesting a replacement card will need to produce a document on component or agency letterhead that explains that the card has been lost or stolen, he added.

Yousef noted the document should be signed, and individuals must bring it with them to have a new card issued.

“If the card has been stolen, they may also bring in the police report that accounts for that,” he added. “This will not only get the department in full compliance with our policy, but it will also create better accountability for individuals who have had their cards lost or stolen.”

Though this has been a part of the current policy, Yousef noted, it was not mandated at CAC card-issuing locations.

“Previously, in the last couple of years, we have actually updated the system to capture this documentation on an optional basis,” he said. “So what will happen in late March [or] early April is it will be required as part of that reissuance to bring supporting documentation with you.” The supporting documentation will be scanned and stored in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System, he added.

This will affect all common access card-eligible individuals, both military and civilian, Yousef said.

In addition to being an additional security precaution, Yousef said this measure will help to prevent people from replacing their cards just as a matter of personal convenience.

“It creates better awareness with our local security offices [and] our individuals that are sponsoring our contractors for common access cards,” he said. “So this way, they have full oversight if someone is losing multiple ID cards.”

Following the update in requirements this spring, Yousef emphasized, it will be important for people to ensure they bring this documentation with them to have a card reissued, noting that most ID card-issuing sites already have been requiring it for quite some time.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
DoD

Air Force: AFRL bio-signature research may save firefighters’ lives

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio — Imagine facing down a raging fire, up close, with little or no time to save lives and protect property, hauling 75-pound hoses up multiple flights of stairs; carrying victims out and repeatedly putting your life on the line. Then imagine doing it nearly every day. It’s an extreme job...
 
 
DoD

Air Force: Career Intermission Program application window opens July 1

JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas (AFNS) — The Air Force Career Intermission Program application window opens July 1 for eligible Airmen interested in taking one to three years off active duty for personal or professional needs. Applications must reach the Air Force Personnel Center no later than Aug. 31, with the total force selection panel...
 
 
DoD

DOD Civilian personnel chief discusses future force

WASHINGTON — The Defense Department’s top Civilian personnel policy chief discussed developments intended to address Civilian workforce challenges and improve performance management and resourcing as part of the Future of the Force initiative during a panel discussion held here Tuesday. Paige Hinkle-Bowles, deputy assistant secretary of defense for Civilian personnel policy, participated in...
 

 
DoD

Utility jobs training to open for troops, veterans, spouses

WASHINGTON — The Defense Department announced Tuesday a partnership to launch employment training for transitioning service members, veterans and military spouses in highly skilled utility industry jobs. The Utility Industry Workforce Initiative is a public-private partnership comprising DOD, the departments of Energy, Veterans Affairs and Labor, and private-sector companies Edison Electric I...
 
 
DoD
Air-Force

Air Force: Airmen foster ‘wingmanship’ through gaming

Airmen from the 319th Air Base Wing at Grand Forks Air Force Base, N.D., play an interactive video game in their dormitory dayroom, May 28. Gaming has become a popular way for Grand Forks Airmen to connect outside of duty hours...
 
 
DoD

DOD: Secretary of Defense joins Facebook

WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Ash Carter became the first secretary of defense to join Facebook May 29, Pentagon officials announced. In a statement released after Carter joined, officials said the secretary of defense will be able to personally communicate with nearly three million Service members and Civilians on the social media platform. The defense secretary’s...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>