Army changes retirement status listing
Some customs and courtesies will never change, such as showing respect for the U. S. flag. However, the Army recently modified how retirees list their retired status. The Army published the new policy on May 17, 2013, in Army Regulation 25-50, Preparing and Managing Correspondence. The policy puts retired Reservists on equal footing with Soldiers who retired from active duty.
AR 25-50 says, “Retired military should follow the same rules as active personnel, except that no organization or branch of the Army will be shown. Show retired status after the grade as follows:
- All Army personnel, active or reserve component, retired for service, age or physical disability and all personnel on the Army of the United States Retired List, including regular Army personnel and nonregular Army personnel on the Temporary Disability Retired List will use ‘USA Retired’ (for example, A.B. Smith, COL (USA Retired).
- All personnel on the Officers Honorary Retired List will use ‘U.S. Army Retired (Hon).’
- All Reservists assigned to the U. S. Army Reserve Control Group (Retired) will use ‘USA Retired.’
- Army retirees serving as DA Civilians will not use or refer to their military grade or rank except when referring to their personal retirement actions.”
Designate arrears of pay beneficiary in myPay
When a retiree dies, the Defense Finance and Accounting Service sends any unpaid retired pay to the beneficiaries on record. Retirees frequently forget who their beneficiary of record is, and occasionally need to update or change that beneficiary. Doing this used to require sending forms via mail, then waiting for the account to be updated.
myPay now offers retirees the option to designate up to five arrears of pay beneficiaries online. Beneficiary designations can be updated without the hassle of forms, envelopes or waiting. Members can also change beneficiaries whenever they want.
Members can still submit a DD Form 2894, but will have to allow for mailing and processing time to elapse before their changes can take effect. The DD Form 2894 must be used to designate more than five beneficiaries.
To update arrears of pay beneficiary information, login to myPay and:
- Select “Beneficiary for Arrears”
- The current beneficiary designation will display
- Click on “Designate Beneficiaries” (Warning: Any transaction created will overwrite your existing elections)
- Enter beneficiary information
- Click “Continue”
- Click on “Designate More Beneficiaries” to add up to five beneficiaries
- When you have completed the designation of your beneficiaries, click on “Confirm Beneficiaries”
- Review changes. If correct, select “Yes” (Warning: Any transaction created will overwrite your existing elections)
- Save or Print the new beneficiary designations
Exchange launches new, improved website
Online shopping with the Army & Air Force Exchange Service may be easier than ever due to a refresh of the organization’s official website, www.shopmyexchange.com.
Improvements include a new homepage layout design, complete with an updated visual look and industry-standard navigation; more product categories; easy-to-find links to specialty stores and online mall vendors; improved product pages; and easier checkout.
Easy-to-find buttons for key features such as sales, customer service, online account management and Military Star Card service are also now conveniently placed at the top of the page, and the product search bar is now more prominent within the site’s layout. In addition, the shopping cart feature is now consistently positioned on the right side of all product pages.
FH Retiree Council to meet
The Fort Huachuca Retiree Council meets quarterly in January, April, July, and October. The next meeting will be held on April 11, 10 a.m., in the Director of Human Resources Conference Room, Building 41421. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Retirees can visit the Fort Huachuca Retiree Council Facebook page for regular updates, events and miscellaneous information of interest at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fort-Huachuca-Retiree-Council/357858980975547.
For additional retirement services information, go to the Retirement Services Office website, https://www.ikn.army.mil/apps/IKNWMS/Default.aspx?webId=2230.