309th FS change of command
Lt. Col. Daniel Lasica, 309th Fighter Squadron commander, will relinquish command to Lt. Col. Stephane Wolfgeher, 56th Operations Support Squadron director of operations, at 8 a.m. May 24 in Hangar 913.
Troops to Teachers seminar
A Troops to Teachers seminar is 10 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Airman and Family Readiness Center. One-on-one counseling is available by appointment only noon to 3 p.m. To R.S.V.P. or for more information, call (800) 830-2134.
Base-wide exercise Thursday
Luke Air Force Base will conduct a base-wide emergency management exercise Thursday. The objective is to foster a working relationship between local community authorities and the Air Force, as well as familiarize civilian emergency management officials with military procedures and capabilities.
Luke personnel and visitors should expect disruptions, possible gate closures or delays and interruptions of customer service operations. Personnel may see explosions, smoke, role players depicting injuries, and emergency responders to include fire, police, ambulances, and medical evacuation helicopters.
There will be a POW panel at the base theater 3 to 5 p.m. May 18. A panel of six to nine former POWs will talk about their experiences and take questions from the audience. The event is open to all Defense Department identification card holders.
Air Force housing website
The Air Force has launched a housing website www.housing.af.mil that provides information on accompanied and unaccompanied housing available at Air Force installations worldwide. This website provides information about privatized and unaccompanied housing as well community housing, schools, local weather and other useful information to help Airmen, accompanied and unaccompanied, make a smooth transition to a new duty location.
Tops in Blue
Tops in Blue will be performing at the Grand Canyon University Arena 7 p.m. June 5. Tops in Blue, is an active-dutyÂ Air Force special unit made up of talented amateur performers selected for their entertainment abilities. For more information, go to topsinblue.com.Â
APAH Month activities
May is Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month. The committee is featuring the following events:
- May 1 to 30: Library static display at the Luke Air Force Base Library.
- May 18: Taste of Asia at the base chapel, hosted by the 425th Fighter Squadron, POC is ME3 Choon Peng Loke.
- May 23: APAH luncheon with dancers and guest speaker, POCs are Staff Sgt. Diaz and Staff Sgt. Johnson.
- May 31: Jujitsu performance and cultural dances at base exchange, POC is Staff Sgt. Saenz.
May Fitness Month events
The following events are featured by the 56th Force Support Squadron Bryant Fitness Center for May Fitness Month:
- Aerobathon 8:30 a.m. sign-in, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. aerobathon Saturday at Bldg. 700.
- 5 k Family Fun Run 6:30 a.m. Saturday at Bldg. 988.
- 9-pin, no-tap bowling tournament 6 to 9Â p.m. Tuesday at the Thunderbolt Lanes, $16 per four-member team.
- Powerlifting competition 9 to 9:45 a.m. weigh-in, 10 a.m. start May 18 at the Combat PT Center.
- Fight night boxing 6 p.m. doors open, 7Â p.m. start May 19 at the Bryant Fitness Center gym, $10 general admission, $20 ringside.
- Fit-2-Fight Throw Down 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 23 at the Warrior Training Center.
- May Fitness Month awards ceremony 11Â a.m. May 31 at the Bryant Fitness Center.
HAWC and Physical Therapy
The Health and Wellness Center will provide a four-part hands-on clinic 9:30-10:00 a.m. every Thursday in June at the Combat PT center. The clinic is a promotional event that will assist personnel in understanding proper lifting techniques in coordination with low back pain prevention. It will cover common lifting mistakes, poor lifting technique, and also demonstrate proper lifting for many of the common exercises performed in the warrior fitness area. Space is limited to 20 participants. For more information or to register, call Marlyn Shults at (623) 856-5902.
National Police Week is Monday through May 18 at Luke Air Force Base. The events include:
- Police department demonstration 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday in the commissary parking lot. For more information, call (623) 856-9576.
- Childrenâ€™s safety awareness 9:30 to 11Â a.m. at the child development center and 2 to 4 p.m. at the youth center Monday. For more information, call (623) 856-6838.
- Car wash 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday at the base theater. For more information, call (623) 856-6322.
- Refuse to Be a Victim seminar 10 a.m. to noon in the Bryant Fitness Center gym. For more information, call (623) 856-6944.
- 37th anniversary SS Mayaguez Retreat ceremony 4:30 to 5 p.m. Thursday at the base flag pole. For more information, call (623) 856-9578.
- National Police Week golf tournament 7:30 shotgun start May 18 at Falcon Dunes Golf Course. For more information, call (623) 856-6186.