Drowning is the leading cause of death in Arizona among children 1 to 4 years old.
By the numbersÂ
90Â – People on average drown in Arizona each year
44Â – Water-related incidents have been reported in Maricopa County so far this year
10Â – of those 44 were deaths, including four children
2Â – Arizonaâ€™s rank for water-related incidents. Florida is No. 1.
0Â – Excuses. Drowning is preventable.
â€“ Tech. Sgt. Elliott Velez, 56th Fighter Wing Ground Safety technicianÂ
How it happens:Â
No barrier to pool
Gate or latch fails
Top 10 ways to prevent drowning
10. Enroll children in swim lessons
9. Donâ€™t drink alcohol while boating
8. Isolate pool perimeter with a fence and self-closing gate
7. Keep a telephone in pool area
6. Become certified in CPR
5. In boats, always wear a Coast Guard-approved life vest
4. If a child is missing, look in the pool first
3. Never leave a child unattended in a pool, hot tub or bath tub â€“ even for a moment
2. Teach children and guests proper water safety rules
1. Never swim alone