Air Force

February 22, 2013

People First – February 22, 2013

Editor’s Note: The “People First” section is compiled from information from the Air Force Personnel Center, TRICARE, 56th Force Support Squadron, Airman and Family Readiness Flight, Veterans Affairs, the civilian personnel office and armed forces news services. For the complete story, go to the web address listed at the end of the story.

AF implements enlisted date of separation rollback

The Air Force will implement the enlisted date of separation rollback program this fiscal year, in addition to several voluntary force management programs that were announced Feb. 5, Air Force Personnel Center officials said.

The rollback will accelerate the date of separation for senior master sergeants and below who meet required criteria, said Lt. Col. Shelley Strong, AFPC operations division chief. Airmen affected must separate from the Air Force by May 31, and those eligible to retire must do so effective June 1 or earlier.

The rollback program allows commanders to consider Airmen for selective reenlistment early, if they meet program criteria.

Airman can be considered for the DOS rollback only if they:

• Have fewer than 14 years of total active federal military service as of May 31 or 20 years or more TAFMS on or before May 31

• Have a May 31 or later DOS

• Have one of the reporting identifiers, re-enlistment eligibility codes, assignment eligibility codes or grade status reasons defined in the program commander action table.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123336392

Panetta notifies Congress DOD preparing for furloughs

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has notified Congress that the Defense Department is prepared to implement furloughs for civilian personnel in response to the threat of sequestration.

In a memo to all employees, Panetta vowed to continue working with Congress to avoid sequestration, which would add $470 billion to the $487 billion in defense spending cuts the department already is making over the next 10 years. If Congress cannot agree on an alternative deficit reduction plan, the cuts go into effect March 1.

Panetta and every other defense leader have called the cuts dangerous. They would come on top of cuts imposed by operating under a continuing resolution. For fiscal 2013, the effect will be further magnified, because the cuts must be done in the final six months of the fiscal year, which ends Sept. 30.

“In the event of sequestration, we will do everything we can to to continue to perform our core mission of providing for the security of the United States,” Panetta wrote in the memo, “but there is no mistaking that the rigid nature of the cuts forced upon this department, and their scale, will result in a serious erosion of readiness across the force.”

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123336926

Airman, executive mobility take flight

The Air Force Space Command commander announced implementation steps in the Air Force’s efforts to heighten the Air Force’s mobile operational potential of its Airmen and the real-time functionality of its executives. The first stage of distribution of mobile devices is focused on delivering approximately 10,000 devices.

“We are providing tools to enhance operational capabilities for our Airmen,” said Gen. William Shelton, AFSC commander. “Harnessing the right technology from both the public and private sectors plays an important role in these efforts.”

As a part of its plans to improve mobile communications, all Air Force major commands were notified last month of an initial operational capability rollout that includes mobile solutions for smart phone and tablet users. The program represents an element of an integrated and collaborative effort across the Air Force and the Defense Department.

“Our approach allows personnel to use the Apple operating system and Android tools to access email, calendar, contacts, documents and certain applications in accordance with DOD guidelines for mobile device security,” said Brig. Gen. Kevin Wooton, AFSPC Communications and Information director.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123336749

2012 climate survey shows overall satisfaction with jobs, leaders

More than 163,000 Airmen voiced their opinions in the online Air Force Climate Survey conducted May 11 through June 22, 2012, with results indicating Airmen are satisfied with unit performance and trust their leaders, Air Force Personnel Center officials said Tuesday.

Conducted every two years, the climate survey is designed to measure attitudes toward the work environment, with questions organized within factors such as satisfaction, trust, unit performance and resources. Participants include active-duty, Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard members, and appropriated and nonappropriated fund civilian employees.

“This survey is one of the most valuable tools we have as leaders. Airmen cannot focus on mission-critical tasks in an unhealthy environment, so we use survey results to identify areas that need attention,” said Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley. “Thanks to the many Airmen who took the time to communicate with us on these issues so we may better focus our efforts where they will do the most good.”

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123336766




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
Johnny Saldivar

Roberson takes command of AETC

Johnny Saldivar Lt. Gen Darryl Roberson, Air Education and Training Command commander, speaks during the AETC change of command ceremony Tuesday at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. Roberson is a command pilot who has mor...
 
 

Payday lenders prey on Airmen

Loans can be very useful in life. From paying off bills to moving expenses, loans can help Airmen out when they need it. Sometimes Airmen are attracted to a less than ideal option of obtaining cash other than getting a traditional loan. What they may not realize is that going to a place that offers...
 
 

Dwell time, PT exemptions for new mothers increase

The six-month deferment for female Airmen to accomplish their fitness assessments following childbirth will be increased to 12 months to align with recent changes to the deployment deferments, Air Force officials announced July 14. The deployment deferment policy, as part of the Air Force’s 2015 Diversity and Inclusion initiatives, increases the deferment from deployment, short...
 

 

Hill activates their first F-35 fighter squadron

The jets won’t arrive for another few months, but Hill Air Force Base, Utah, activated its first F-35 Lightning II fighter squadron during a ceremony July 17. The 34th Fighter Squadron — affectionately known as the Rude Rams — was reactivated, marking the beginning of the F-35’s combat era for both the 388th and 419th...
 
 

Air Force News – July 24, 2015

Hawaii Airmen from the 613th Air Operations Center at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam were the nerve center for the movement of seven C-17 Globemasters carrying almost 450 U.S. Army paratroopers on a nonstop flight from Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska, to Royal Australian Air Force Base Amberley, Australia. Afghanistan Ten Afghan National Army flight medics and...
 
 

People First – July 24, 2015

AF releases first-term Airman retraining quotas Eligible first-term enlisted Airmen interested in retraining opportunities can review the fiscal 2016 online retraining advisory on myPers. Air Force officials approved 1,599 fiscal 2016 first-term Airman retraining quotas in 45 Air Force specialty codes. Airmen can retrain into a variety of AFSCs, including cyber, intelligence, pararescue, fligh...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>