DOD implements secure program for mobile devices
WASHINGTON — The Defense Department is rolling out a program that will allow users of a range of mobile devices — working anywhere from remote battlefields to the Pentagon to rapidly share classified and protected data across all components.
More than 600,000 DOD employees, from soldiers on the front lines to Joint Staff planners, use government-issued mobile devices, mostly BlackBerry phones. Several thousand of the mobile devices in use in DOD are capable of handling classified data.
The goal of the implementation plan announced today is to ensure that mobile devices throughout the department — as well as their apps, email and other functions, and the wireless networks supporting them — can operate securely in often hostile and remote environments and can adapt to ever-changing technology, even as the number of users expands.
Teri Takai, DOD chief information officer, told American Forces Press Service and the Pentagon Channel that the challenge for the Defense Department has been to design a unified system capable of fully leveraging the potential of devices that often differ in capabilities and sophistication in a way that will allow users to communicate in a secure, wireless environment.
“We will be able to not only use multiple commercial devices, but we will have a better process for bringing new commercial devices onto the network,” she said.
Takai, along with the Defense Information Systems Agency, is leading the effort, which will use commercial carrier networks capable of handling classified data.
U.S. Navy and Air Force personnel are wrapping up a salvage operation to recover the wreckage of an Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcon which crashed off the coast of Italy late last month.
All F-35s have been grounded as a precaution after a routine engine inspection revealed a crack on an engine blade Feb. 22 at Edwards Air Force Base. Officials are shipping the engine and its associated hardware to Pratt & Whitney’s engine facility in Middletown, Conn., to conduct more thorough evaluation and root cause analysis.
Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Welsh III and Chief Master Sgt. of the Air Force James Cody addressed more than 500 people last week at the Air Force Association’s 29th Air Warfare Symposium & Technology Exposition in Orlando. Both covered topics including the impact of sequestration, the possibility of civilian furloughs and what the Air Force is doing to prepare.
Nearly 40 Airmen from the 121st Medical Group from Rickenbacker Air National Guard Base, Columbus, Ohio recently arrived at Osan Air Base Sunday to team up with members of the 51st Medical Group. The 121st MDG came to help 51st MDG Airmen train and set up an expeditionary medical system.