Editor’s Note: The “People First” section is compiled from information from the Air Force Personnel Center, TRICARE, 56th Force Support Squadron, Airman and Family Readiness Flight, Veterans Affairs, the civilian personnel office and armed forces news services. For the complete story, go to the web address listed at the end of the story.
MyPers website celebrates one-year anniversary
Did you ever have a question about a specific personnel function and needed to be pointed in the right direction?
The myPers website provides all Air Force members a source to search for information regarding personnel programs, to complete personnel transactions, and to chat live with a subject matter expert.
The Air Force Personnel Center and Air Reserve Personnel Center celebrate the one-year anniversary of its myPers website renaming May 21. MyPers has provided the total force a unified product to accomplish online personnel services, which can be accessed 24/7 from a military or personal computer using a common access card or login identification and password.
“MyPers is a knowledge base designed to help individuals easily find information about personnel programs,” said Lt. Col. John Silverman, the AFPC knowledge management division chief. “If they cannot acquire the information on the website, myPers will point them in the right direction to obtain the information they need. We encourage everyone to use this powerful tool when looking for personnel-specific information.”
MyPers is customized to recognize the user’s affiliation with the Air Force, whether the individual is active duty, Reserve, Guard or civilian.
Official urges planning, offers resources for fiscal fitness
It’s important for children to learn financial life skills at a young age as it will help them establish financial security and avoid woes in adulthood, a Defense Department official said.
Barbara Thompson, the director of DOD’s office of family policy and children and youth, said in an interview with American Forces Press Service and the Pentagon Channel that the department continues to encourage military families to sidestep debt by creating a feasible spending plan and using resources that are available to them for achieving financial stability.
“It takes planning. Part of the family readiness system is making sure that families are financially stable, and that includes … the service member, the spouse and the children,” she said. “As (children) get closer … to being independent, you want them to have life skills that (enable them) to take care of themselves financially and make sure they don’t get into debt.”
Officials encourage military families to tap into resources such as the Military OneSource website and its Military Youth on the Move application as well as the Jumpstart’s Reality Check. The websites, Thompson explained, offer tailored information that supports financial savvy in youth and adults.
Hagel to make furlough decision soon
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will make a decision soon on the scope of civilian furloughs in response to sequestration spending cuts, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said today.
Hagel is reviewing analysis on the budget “and he’ll reach a decision in the near future,” Little told reporters.
Little acknowledged news reports that some services contend they do not need to use furloughs to make their sequestration goals.
“There are different pockets of money in different places for each of the services,” he said. “To be totally straightforward, the math does work for some services to avoid some furloughs, at a minimum. For other services, it is harder.”
The general principle so far has been “one team, one fight” inside the department to be consistent, the press secretary said. “That’s an understandable position,” he said.
Still, he said, Hagel is reviewing the DOD budget and the constraints the department is operating under. “We’re in the middle of a $37 billion to $40 billion cut over a six-month period, and we need to look closely at that, but I expect him to make a decision soon,” the spokesman said.
SecAF approves captain’s board cancellation May 7
First lieutenants will no longer meet a promotion central selection board to make captain, Air Force officials announced May 7. Effective immediately, the Secretary of the Air Force approved the elimination of the Captain’s Central Selection Board.The Air Force is returning to the same promotion process that was in effect prior to July 2011. First lieutenants will now be informed by their chain of command if they are recommended for promotion to captain. The Air Force is returning to a 100 percent promotion opportunity, allowing commanders to determine if an officer should be promoted. “Senior raters will now provide a recommendation to promote or not to promote first lieutenants.
All first lieutenants will be promoted unless their senior rater makes a recommendation of “do not promote,” said Lt. Col. Colin Huckins, the Promotions, Evaluations, and Fitness Policy Branch Chief. According to senior officials, the boards are being eliminated due to the significant amount of time and financial investment for a very small quality cut, which affected few officers due to high promotion rates.