When it comes to the history of U.S. Air Force base housing, two themes were consistent. There was either too much or too little housing to meet the base’s population needs. Luke Air Force Base has gone through those cycles too.
While Del Webb built family housing at Luke, at times during World War II, there was not enough. During those times, the base converted barracks into apartments for families.
Adding to the challenge in the 1950s was the fact that the entire base was built with temporary buildings, only good for a few years. It was not until September of 1959 that the base saw any new housing. That month, Saguaro Manor opened with 724 units on the north side of Glendale Avenue. The style of the home was called Capehart.
In February 1971, 150 similar units opened in Ocotillo Manor on the south side of Glendale Avenue. In 1991, the base replaced the flat roofs of those houses with pitched roofs.
In 2001, after 30 years of service, the base demolished the houses in Ocotillo Manor. Ten years ago this week, the rebuilt Ocotillo Manor reopened with new housing that stands there today.