DoD

July 13, 2012

DOD working to halt budget sequestration, Little says

By Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The Defense Department is working to avoid the possibility of budget sequestration, a maneuver which would trigger massive, across-the-board cuts in defense spending, something Pentagon Press Secretary George Little described today as an absurd situation.

“We have daily discussions with the Office of Management and Budget on a range of budget issues, to include the prospect of sequestration,” Little said. “We have not begun planning for sequestration, but we are in regular contact with our OMB colleagues about what needs to happen.”

Sequestration is a mechanism built into last year’s Budget Control Act that would trigger across the board cuts in federal spending — including an additional half-trillion-dollar cut in defense — if Congress and the White House cannot agree on a plan to reduce the federal deficit.

“The goal here, of course, is to avoid sequestration, period. That’s what we want and we believe that’s what the American people want,” Little told reporters.

Sequestration would more than double the $487 billion in cuts the department is already making over the next 10 years.

The automatic cuts would require the department to scrap the defense strategy unveiled in January, Pentagon spokesman Capt. John Kirby told reporters at the same press conference. Instead, Pentagon officials would “have to come up with something completely different. That something, whatever it is, would be based on, essentially, a force at risk of being hollowed,” he said.

“We need to move beyond sequestration,” Little said. “And we believe that members of Congress do want to get beyond it.”

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta continues to look throughout the department for savings, Little said, and stressed that everything is on the table. However, Defense officials have continually said that any cuts have to fit in to the overall defense strategy.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
(Official U.S. Air Force photo)

Knowing the facts: National American Indian Heritage Month

(Official U.S. Air Force photo) Maj. Gen. Clarence L. Tinker was the highest ranking officer of Native-American ancestry and the first general lost in action during World War II. November is National American Indian Heritage Mo...
 
 

VA implements second phase of Choice Card Program

Washington, DC – The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) today announced that it began mailing Veterans Choice Cards on Nov. 17 to Veterans currently waiting more than 30-days from their preferred date or the date that is medically determined by their physician for an appointment at a VA facility. “VA continues to focus on implementation...
 
 

Red Cross shares top safety tips for Thanksgiving

Millions of people will travel to spend their Thanksgiving holiday with loved ones and the American Red Cross has steps they can follow to help make sure they have a safe trip. The holiday is also a time when cooks spend a lot of time in the kitchen and there are tips they can use...
 

 

Officials Highlight Health, Wellness Resources for Military Families

WASHINGTON – As efforts continue to strengthen service members and their families, Pentagon officials held a Bloggers Roundtable to highlight the myriad resources available to tackle the unique military and transitional challenges those who serve may face. Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Military Community and Family Policy Rosemary Freitas Williams, Marine Corps Sgt. Maj....
 
 
HBI

Tips for getting enough healthy protein in your diet

At a time when over a third of American adults are obese and childhood obesity rates are rising exponentially, more Americans are looking for meat alternatives in their dining choices. In fact, close to 16 million Americans are...
 
 

AF closes FY14 force management programs

WASHINGTON (AFNS) — Airmen who met the service’s reduction in force board were notified of the board’s results Nov. 19, bringing the fiscal year 2014 force management programs to an end. The RIF board selected 354 captains and majors across the Air Force for non-retention, half of the number the service previously projected it would...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin