Air Force

October 4, 2013

Hundreds of March ARB employees furloughed during government shutdown

Tags:
2nd Lt. Bari D. Yonkers
452 AMW public affairs

More than 500 civilian personnel received a furlough letter Tuesday, prohibiting them to work until further notice. The letters were delivered in response to the United States Federal government shutdown due to lapse of appropriations for fiscal year 2014.

Civilian personnel from March Air Reserve Base received furlough letters on Tuesday, as large portions of the United States Federal government shut its doors for the first time in 17 years.

Previously, the December 1995 – January 1996 government shutdown lasted 21 days during the Clinton Administration, and ended when President Clinton and Congress agreed to pass a compromise budget.

Here at March ARB, civilian government workers faced a repeat of history as more than 500 civilian personnel were subjected to the 2013 shutdown furlough.

A shutdown furlough (also called an emergency furlough), occurs when there is a lapse in appropriations. This can occur at the beginning of a fiscal year if no funds have been appropriated for that year; or upon expiration of a continuing resolution if a new continuing resolution or appropriations law is not passed. In a shutdown furlough, an affected agency would have to shut down any activities funded by annual appropriations that are not excepted by law. Typically, an agency will have very little, to no lead time, to plan and implement a shutdown furlough.

March ARB civilian employees affected by the shutdown furlough were given four hours from signing their furlough letter to attend to last minute items and vacate their work stations for the orderly closedown. In addition to vacating their work stations, they were reminded of the legalities they must adhere to while on a furloughed status.

“Employees are legally prohibited from performing work or acting as an unpaid volunteer. This includes coming to work, telework, attending training, using their Air Force issued laptops, or checking e-mail or Blackberries while on furlough.” said Maj. Deric Prescott, active duty Staff Judge Advocate with the 951st Reserve Support Squadron.

The furloughed civilian personnel and absence of appropriations will surely be disruptive to the Armed Forces. However, functions essential to national security and public safety will continue.

“March ARB will continue to operate on a bare bones basis with basic fire, police, and command and control functions manned. Flying training will not occur, but critical national defense missions will continue to be flown out of March and around the globe.” stated Col. Samuel “Bo” Mahaney, 452d Air Mobility Wing Commander. He went on to say that “Should the furloughs continue for a prolonged period, our state of readiness, training levels, and ability to conduct the mission could be adversely impacted.”

As uncertainty and concern loom in the air, Team March members not affected by the shutdown will continue to serve.

“The orderly transition to bare base operations went smoothly. This is a testament to the professionalism of our civilian workforce.” said Mahaney. “Even in the face of an indefinite furlough they never let their nation down. These men and women are anxious to get back to the business of providing for the nation’s security.”




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Air Force revamps Air Expeditionary Force

WASHINGTON (AFNS) — The Air Force will deploy Agile Combat Support (ACS) Airmen under its redesigned air expeditionary force (AEF) construct October 1. The primary purpose of the redesign was to look at ways to deploy more ACS Airmen with their units and standardize dwell times across the Air Force as much as possible to...
 
 

Air Force’s top leader discusses Reserve future

ROBINS AIR FORCE BASE, Ga. — Citizen Airmen have an advocate at the very top of Air Force. During a visit to Robins Air Force Base, Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James discussed several issues related to the Air Force Reserve’s future. As the Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard continue to...
 
 
U.S. Air Force photo by Tech Sgt Rick Sforza, 4th Combat Camera Squadron

March host wing contributes to overall success of Mobility Air Force mission

U.S. Air Force photo by Tech Sgt Rick Sforza, 4th Combat Camera Squadron A KC-135R from the 336th Air Refueling Squadron refuels a C-17A from the 729th Airlift Squadron. Both aircraft are from the Air Force Reserve Command’s ...
 

 

BASH: Protecting our aircraft, Airmen

U.S. Air Force photo/2nd Lt. Bari Wald David Briseño, wildlife biologist with the United States Department of Agriculture and head of Marchs’ Bird/Anti-Aircraft Strike Hazard (BASH) program, prepares to fire a 12-gauge ‘shell cracker’ into the air with his shotgun. Firing ‘shell crackers’ is one of many pyrotechnic methods used in the BASH program to...
 
 
US_Air_Force_Logo

Strategic agility is the future of the Air Force

WASHINGTON (AFNS) — As the Air Force prepares for new challenges and opportunities of the coming decades, it faces sobering 21st-century realities: global centers of power have become more distributed and the terrorism th...
 
 

SECAF: Air Force grapples with Congress to fund readiness

WASHINGTON (AFNS) — To balance readiness today and modernization tomorrow, the Air Force’s fiscal year 2015 budget request is shrinking like today’s defense budget thanks to Congress’s own priorities and the approaching threat of sequestration in 2016, Air Force leaders said July 30. Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James and Air Force Chief...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin