DoD

January 24, 2014

Pentagon praises bipartisan spending bill

WASHINGTON, D.C. — A Pentagon spokesman has praised a budget bill that won final Congressional approval today which would fund the government through September, but cautions tough spending decisions remain.

The bill provides DOD with necessary funding for critical investments and modernization, an increase in pay and benefits, continued training, equipment maintenance and funding that supports military operations in Afghanistan, Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby, the Pentagon press secretary said today.

It alleviates some of the cuts mandated under sequestration. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has worked long and hard with members of Congress on the legislation. “Preserving our readiness has been his number one priority,” Kirby said.

The wide ranging spending bill doesn’t solve every problem, but it does provide DOD a measure of stability.

One aspect revises a provision covering medically retired service members. “Last week, Secretary Hagel visited Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas to visit with our wounded warriors,” Kirby said. “There he met Victor Rivera, a medically retired Army sergeant wounded in Iraq in 2007 who continues to receive rehabilitation care there at the Center for the Intrepid.”

The sergeant would have been subject to the so called cost-of-living minus one percent provision within the bipartisan budget act. “The secretary is pleased that the bipartisan spending package includes a fix that will exempt medically retired personnel like Sergeant Rivera from a slower rate of growth of pension payments during their working years,” the admiral said.

Hagel is looking forward to working with Congress on a comprehensive approach to pay in benefits that addresses growing imbalances in the U.S. military.

Still, tough choices lie ahead. DOD faces decisions about the future of the force. “We are still absorbing nearly $30 billion over the next 10 years that were not accounted for in the presidential budget submission,” Kirby said.

The measure also provides funding for fiscal 2015 above sequestration levels, even though it will still be $40 billion less than projected last year. “Without further compromise, sequestration will remain the law of the land for the next decade,” he said.

The secretary briefed the combatant commanders, service chiefs, service secretaries and other senior leaders of the department to continue discussions on the fiscal 2015 budget submission.

The meeting also included a healthy discussion of the quadrennial defense review that’s currently underway, Kirby said.

“With this leadership council behind them, Secretary Hagel and the service secretaries will now turn to finalizing the DOD budget plan for fiscal year ‘15,” the admiral said.

Officials do not know when the budget submission will happen. The Office of Management and Budget makes that determination which traditionally has been the first Monday in February.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Tiffany Lindemann

Team March maintainers refurbish KC-135 Stratotanker in record time

U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Tiffany Lindemann Staff Sgt. Caleb Meyer, an active-duty crew chief, and Staff Sgt. Neftali Rivera, an Air Reserve Technician and crew chief, both from the 752nd Maintenance Squadron, screw in th...
 
 
U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Russell S. McMillan

Johnson assumes command of 56th Aerial Port Squadron

U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Russell S. McMillan Col. Timothy McCoy (left), commander, 452nd Mission Support Group, March Air Reserve Base, passes the guidon to Maj. Mark E. Johnson, commander, 56th Aerial Port Squadron, ...
 
 
U.S. Air Force photo/Tech. Sgt. Ryan Crane

Airman, Guardsman recognized as ‘heroes’ in Paris

U.S. Air Force photo/Tech. Sgt. Ryan Crane Airman 1st Class Spencer Stone (right), Aleksander Skarlatos (center) and Anthony Sadler pose for a photo in Paris Aug. 23, 2015, following a foiled attack on a French train. Stone was...
 

 
150822-F-RK887-146

Chief Kacsmaryk Retirement

U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Russell S. McMillan Chief Master Sgt. Michael Kacsmaryk, superintendent, 752nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, March Air Reserve Base, receives a U.S. flag that was flown over the Capitol, duri...
 
 

The 452nd Air Mobility Wing 2015, 3rd Quarter award winners

Airman of the Quarter – Senior Airman Christian Bojorquez, 452 SFS   NCO of the Quarter – Staff Sgt. Kevin Duffy, 56 APS   SNCO of the Quarter – Senior Master Sgt. Winston Demmin, 452 AMXS   Company Grade Officer of the Quarter – Capt. Dawn Schultz, 452 MDG/752 MDS   (Not pictured) Civilians of...
 
 

Healthy Base Initiative ends, Team March continues concept

The Defense Department’s Healthy Base Initiative is about to end, but the emphasis on health and wellness is merely making a transition. The Healthy Base Initiative, a DOD demonstration project at 14 installations that tested ways to improve the health and wellness of troops, civilians and their families, is ending this month. However, the successful ideas that...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>