Local

October 11, 2012

Yuma SAR pilot writes, publishes novel

Story by Cpl. Sean Dennison
Desert Warrior Staff

Sometimes when Marines find themselves with downtime, they play video games.

When Capt. Shaheed Shabazz, a Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron UH-1N Huey pilot, found himself with some spare time, he wrote a book.

“I was on my first boat deployment in 2009,” he said. “The theme of someone getting the ultimate revenge just popped into my head, and I decided I had all the time in the world to write for seven months.”

Inconsolable, Shabazz’debut novel, is the relentlessly violent saga of a reformed meth addict who thinks he’s finally managed to break even in life. That is until he receives photos of a mutilated body and realizes a dark secret from his past will soon plunge him and those close to him into a nightmare from which there is no awakening.

“I started writing with just the basic theme of psychological revenge, not just physical, but something smart,” Shabazz said.

Though now a novelist, Shabazz’ influences aren’t necessarily what one would expect of a writer.

“My influences are more films than novels,” he said. “I honestly haven’t read that many novels in my life.”

The authors he has read are immediately apparent in Inconsolable.

“Some of the people are Stephen King and Robert R. McCammon,” Shabazz said. “For movies, there’s Se7en, some of the Coen brothers, and there’s a little bit of Saw in there.”

Vengeance is a huge theme for Inconsolable, but the novel also explores the domination of the human spirit in the face of abject horror.

“Revenge and forgiveness are the main themes,” said Shabazz. “They’re so polarized, and it’s a good life lesson for people to learn how to forgive and what it means to forgive.”

“The revenge part?” he added with a smile. “That’s just fun to write about. Everybody has those feelings where they want to get revenge against someone in their life. It’s relatable to everyone.”

The Chaparral, N.M., native began writing in childhood, and at age 10 Shabazz decided it was something he would be serious about.

“I wrote for my school newspaper in middle school,” he said. “Mainly, it was just short stories for school when I started.”

His passion followed him to college, where he majored in journalism and mass communications. However, Shabazz didn’t think he would write a novel until his deployment, which he described as “the perfect opportunity to write.”

“I always made excuses, but there were no excuses left,” he added.

Shabazz’ zest for life, and general restlessness, is also what prompted him to become a Marine.

“I wanted to join the military specifically to fly and Hueys were just the opportunity to do a lot of different things,” he said. “I get bored easily if I do the same thing every day. Hueys present a lot of different missions.”

However, while he’s served his country faithfully, his calling is in the world of film.

“I wrote that book film-style, like as a movie,” he said. “I started writing film scripts after that.”

“That’s what I’m going to do,” he said with a smile. “Make movies. That’s the only reason I’m getting out of the Marine Corps, so I can pursue that.”

Until then, Shabazz keeps himself busy flying over Yuma’s ranges.

All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.

sterling-yuma

Sterling Global Operations completes U.S. Navy project to clear munitions, firing range and target debris from Arizona Marine Corps Air Station range

Sterling Global Operations, Inc., in a two-year project for the U.S. Navy, removed or recycled some 5.9 million pounds of munitions, firing range and target debris from Marine Corps Air Station at Yuma, Ariz. Sterling Global re...

US Army, Raytheon achieve first inflight lethal intercept of low quadrant elevation rocket

YUMA PROVING GROUND, Ariz. – Raytheon successfully intercepted and destroyed a low quadrant elevation 107mm rocket as part of the second series of guided test vehicle flight tests of the Accelerated Improved Intercept Initiative program. The intercept is a major test milestone before the U.S. Army live-fire engagements begin in September. “Beginning only 18 months...

Raytheon, U.S. Army complete first AI3 guided flight test series

Raytheon and the U.S. Army successfully completed the first guided test vehicle flight series of the Accelerated Improved Intercept Initiative program at Yuma Proving Ground, Aris. The series consisted of two flight tests against different target profiles. In each case after launch, the interceptor initially guided on in-flight radio frequency datalink updates from the fire...

New Navy vessel named after Yuma

The U.S. Navy has decided to name one of their newest Joint High-Speed Vessels after the city of Yuma, Ariz., forming an even deeper bond between the local community and our military. Political officials from the state of Arizona and the city of Yuma were informed of the decision by the Honorable Ray Mabus, Secretary...

DoD

Joint Strike Fighter on track, costs coming down, Kendall says

Indications are that the F-35 joint strike fighter program — the most expensive aviation program in Defense Department history — is on track, the undersecretary of defense for acquisition, technology and logistics told a Senate panel June 19. Testifying before the Senate Appropriations Committee’s defense subcommittee this morning, Frank Kendall said the F-35 will be...

DoD
WEBarmy-jltv2

Joint Light Tactical Vehicle ‘closes capability gap,’ Army says

While the Humvee has served the Army well for some 25 years, there’s a “capability gap” in what it can do for warfighters on a 21st-century battlefield, said the Soldier responsible for overseeing its replacem...

0 Comments

Be the first to comment!