TRIWEST â€” When youâ€™re leaving on vacation or changing duty stations, TRICARE is your medical coverage. These five small steps can help you avoid unexpected issues during your travels â€“ even if you change TRICARE regions.
Keep DEERS Updated:Â
- No matter which TRICARE program you use, your Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System record is the key to your military health care eligibility. If your address changes for more than 60 days, you can log into milConnect (milconnect.dmdc.mil) to update DEERS.
When moving to a new location, donâ€™t disenroll from TRICARE Prime before you move. You can transfer your enrollment if TRICARE Prime is available at your new location. You will have to choose a new primary care manager (PCM). No matter if youâ€™re moving across town or across the county, you can find instructions for transferring your enrollment at TRICARE.mil/moving.
Get routine care at home:Â
- Before you hit the road, take care of your familyâ€™s routine health care like annual exams or required immunizations. Getting routine care at your new location before your enrollment is transferred can lead to claims issues and out-of-pocket expenses.
Know Your Urgent and Emergency Care Options
But, what about those unexpected issues? Emergency care is covered for conditions that could result in a loss of life, limb or sight. Urgent care covers those issues that require medical attention in 24 hours, such as a rising fever or something like a sprain. Remember to follow the TRICARE Prime rules for urgent and emergency care. You can read more at TriWest.com/UrgentCare.
TRICARE pharmacy delivers:Â
For medications you need on the road, remember to order your refills before you leave. If you move, TRICARE Home Delivery moves with you, too (and can even deliver to a temporary address). You can manage your TRICARE Home Delivery account at www.express-scripts.com/TRICARE.
Access your important information on the move:
- If youâ€™re going to travel within the TRICARE West Region, make sure you stay connected to your health care while youâ€™re on the go. Visit TriWest.com/Mobile to learn how you can:
- Find a TRICARE network provider or urgent care center near you from your phone
- Download the TriWest mobile app and have TRICARE info at your fingertips
- Log into your secure account
- New to the West Region?Â Register for an account today!
Long trips and short ones, roundtrip or one-way, TRICARE has you covered during your travels. For questions before, during or after a vacation or a move, find your answers at TriWest.com.