Air Force

July 6, 2012

AF discontinues ITDY dependent travel, transportation allowances

WASHINGTON (AFNS) — Air Force officials announced a change to transportation and travel allowances for Airmen tasked with 365-day extended deployments, commonly referred to as an indeterminate TDY.

Effective immediately, the Air Force will no longer refer to a 365-day extended deployment as an ITDY since there are definitive TDY tour lengths, officials explained. The policy change will better align the Air Force with the Joint Federal Travel Regulation guidelines regarding ITDYs.

Previously, Airmen tasked for 365-day extended deployments received entitlements for dependent travel and transportation allowances. These allowances included dependent and household goods movement during the deployed period. Those entitlements will no longer be available effective July 1.

“The use of the term ‘indeterminate’ when Airmen are tasked for a pre-determined maximum deployment does not meet the intent of the JFTR,” said Col. Ken Sersun, the Air Force Military Force Policy Division chief. “We understand discontinuing dependent travel and transportation allowances may be perceived as the removal of entitlements; however, the Air Force must comply with existing JFTR guidelines.”

Airmen tasked before July 1 for future 365-day extended deployments will not be affected by the policy change.

Other programs associated with 365-day extended deployments are not affected at this time, Sersun said.

These programs include the “three-day option” that gives Airmen the option to either separate or retire in lieu of the deployment, as long as they make the decision within three days of assignment notification; “advanced assignment consideration,” which gives deploying Airmen an opportunity to request advance assignment consideration upon selection; and “24-month assignment deferment,” which gives deploying Airmen the option of requesting a 24-month assignment hold, following their return from deployment.

For more information about assignments, deployments and other personnel issues, visit the myPers website at https://mypers.af.mil.




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Thomas Spangler

40 years of Red Flag ends on high note

U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Thomas Spangler A C-17 Globemaster III assigned to the 437th Airlift Wing, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C., flies to the Nevada Test and Training Range during Red Flag 15-4, Aug. 25. With a...
 
 

Never underestimate your impact

INCIRLIK AIR BASE, Turkey — Every day I visit our great Airmen and every day I come across more than one that underestimates their impact to the mission. There’s the one-stripe maintainer, “just repaneling an aircraft,” for the next day’s flight, or the young personalist, “just issuing another identification card,” or the defender, “just guarding...
 
 

Challenge yourself: Never give up, never quit

FAIRCHILD AIR FORCE BASE, Wash. — I once read that newly created cells in our bodies do one of two things: they either begin to decay or they become more vital. These cells choose their path based on what we demand of them. If we are sedentary, our brains signal our cells to decay; but...
 

 

SECDEF visits Nellis

U.S. Air Force photo by Lawrence Crespo U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter speaks with Airmen from Nellis and Creech Air Force Bases during an all-call at the Lightning Aircraft Maintenance Unit hangar on Nellis AFB, Nev., Aug. 26. Carter’s department is responsible for policy development, planning, resource management, fiscal, and program evaluations for the...
 
 

Air Force extends SAPR services to AF civilians

WASHINGTON — The Air Force released a policy memo today allowing Air Force civilian employees who are victims of sexual assault to file restricted and unrestricted reports with their installation’s sexual assault response coordinator. The policy is effective immediately and allows SARCs and sexual assault prevention and response victim advocates to assist Air Force civilians...
 
 

TRICARE pharmacy rules changing for maintenance, brand-name drugs

WASHINGTON — TRICARE beneficiaries who take certain brand-name medications on a regular basis will be required to fill prescriptions at a military treatment facility or through a mail-in program beginning Oct. 1, a Defense Health Agency official said here Aug. 20. George Jones, DHA’s pharmacy operations division chief, said the new policy does not apply...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>