NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. — “Provide advanced, realistic, and relevant training focused on ensuring dominance in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.” That is the mission statement of the 57th Wing, the U.S. Air Force’s most diverse wing, as the unit continues to perform a dynamic role in ensuring the success of USAF objectives.
Air Force officials validated the 57th as among the very best in announcing that the wing has earned the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award for the period of June 1, 2010 to May 31, 2012. The award is the tenth AFOUA the wing has received.
“This wing qualifies for the AFOUA by making truly significant contributions, which measurably enhanced the Department of Defense and Air Force abilities to optimally perform their peacetime and wartime contingency missions,” said General Charles L. Moore, Jr., 57th Wing commander. “This exceptionally meritorious service included significant achievements in force protection initiatives impacting the entire Air Force, distinguished participation in joint training exercises, and short notice deployments to real-world contingencies. The wing is truly an outstanding organization.”
Wing personnel provide advanced air and space training to Air Force, Joint, and Coalition warfighters while managing the fast-paced and demanding flying operations at Nellis Air Force Base. Responsibilities include advanced aircrew training, tactics development and publication, logistics, command and control training, and intelligence dissemination for U.S. and allied coalition forces around the world.
Units of the wing include the United States Air Force Weapons School, the 57th Adversary Tactics Group, the 57th Operations Group, the 57th Maintenance Group, the United States Air Force Advanced Maintenance and Munitions Officers School, the United States Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron, and the 561st Joint Tactics Squadron.
The Air Force established the wing at Elmendorf AFB, Alaska in March 1948 to provide air defense of Alaska, flying F-51, F-80, C-47, C-54 and C-82 aircraft. The unit was re-designated as the 57th Fighter-Interceptor Wing on Jan. 20, 1950, before its inactivation on 1 January 1951. The Air Force re-designated the unit as 57th Fighter Weapons Wing on Aug. 22, 1969, activating it at Nellis AFB to replace the 4525th Fighter Weapons Wing on Oct. 15, 1969. Initially at Nellis, the wing flew the A-7, F-4, F-100, F-105, F-111 and T-39 aircraft. Other re-designations include the 57th Tactical Training Wing on April 1, 1977; 57th Fighter Weapons Wing on March 1, 1980; 57th Fighter Wing on October 1, 1991 and 57th Wing on June 15, 1993.