NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. — Have a car you need to sell in Texas while living in Nevada? Are you deploying and a friend will be caring for your home, vehicle and pets? Or perhaps you are having trouble with your landlord, and you don’t know what to do? These are all issues the legal office can help with.
The United States Air Force Warfare Center Office of the Staff Judge Advocate does more than just carry out courts-martial and non-judicial punishments. One of the most important jobs the legal office has is to provide services to Airmen, family members, and retirees. There are many helpful services that the legal office provides for free.
- Wills: The legal office provides free wills to Airmen, family members and retirees on a by-appointment basis. Wills are essential life-planning tools. A will allows you to plan for guardianship of your children, and to decide where your property will go in the event of your death. If you do not have a will, consider getting one. If you already have one, you should review it periodically to make sure it is up to date.
- Powers of Attorney: The legal office can help you by drafting and notarizing various powers of attorney. A power of attorney allows a person to give another the authority to act in their name. The authority can be for one simple act, or for many acts. Powers of attorney are done on a walk-in basis from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Air Force Legal Assistance Website: You can walk in for the service, or you can visit https://www.aflegalassistance.law.af.mil to fill out a worksheet and get a ticket number before coming in to speed the process of creating the power of attorney. Also this website can be used to create a will worksheet. Once you receive your ticket number, call us to schedule a will appointment.
- Legal Assistance: Legal assistance allows a person to meet with an attorney to discuss civil legal issues. Common issues are divorce, child custody, landlord-tenant problems, or various consumer issues. Legal assistance is conducted on a walk-in basis, on Mondays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and on Thursdays from 4:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. If you cannot make these times, alternate arrangements can be made on an as-needed basis.
- Household Goods Claims: For property damaged on the move to Nevada you should file a claim with the carrier. If you are having trouble with contacting the carrier call the Air Force Claims Service Center at 937-656 8044.
- Free information: The legal office is a fountain of information. There is a rack of legal forms and packets for various topics, including divorce proceedings. Many of these handouts can also be found on the legal assistance website listed above. In addition, the legal office can connect you to those who can help.
The JA staff is very knowledgeable about local resources on base and downtown, and can advise you with some very helpful websites. There is a wealth of information waiting to be accessed about many different topics.
The Nellis Legal Office is happy to help Airmen and their families whenever possible. The office is located at 4428 England Avenue, building 18, and is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 652-7531.