DoD

April 5, 2013

Hagel announces fewer furlough days for civilians

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, brief reporters at the Pentagon March 28. Hagel and Dempsey discussed the ongoing sequester affecting the Defense Department’s budget.

WASHINGTON — The Defense Department has revised from 22 to 14 the number of days hundreds of thousands of civilian employees could be furloughed this year because of the budget sequester, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel announced today.

In addition, a senior Defense Department official speaking on background told reporters the start of the furloughs will be delayed until mid-to-late June, after more than 700,000 department employees receive furlough notices now set to go out in early May.

Furloughs would happen over seven two-week pay periods until the end of September, when the current fiscal year ends, the senior official said, with employees likely to be told not to come to work for two days during each of those pay periods.

Department officials say they are still working to determine which employees might be exempted.

Hagel characterized the reduced furloughs as well as a revised estimate of sequestration’s impact on the defense budget as good news. The changes follow Congressional approval last week of a defense appropriations bill that prevented an additional six billion dollars in cuts, ordered under sequestration, from taking effect.

“It reduces a shortfall at least in the operations budget,” the secretary told reporters at a Pentagon news conference. “We came out better than we went in under the sequester, where it looks like our number is $41 billion [in cuts] now versus the $46 billion.”

But despite a Congressional reprieve, Hagel said the Pentagon is still going to be short at least $22 billion for operations and maintenance, “and that means we are going to have to prioritize and make some cuts and do what we’ve got to do,” including making sharp reductions in base operating support and training for nondeployed units.

More critical in the long run, he said, is how budget cuts will affect readiness and the department’s overall mission. Because of that concern, he said he has directed Deputy Defense Secretary Ash Carter and Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to conduct an intensive department-wide review of U.S. strategic interests, including how to protect the nation with fewer resources.

“How do we prioritize the threats and then the capabilities required to deal with threats?” he said. “There will be some significant changes, there’s no way around it.”

Dempsey said the department has already exhausted 80 percent of its operating funds halfway through the fiscal year and characterized the current budget situation as “not the deepest, but the steepest decline in our budget ever,” and warned it will affect military readiness into the future.

“We will have to trade at some level and to some degree our future readiness for current operations,” the chairman said. He called on elected leaders to give the Pentagon the budget flexibility it needs to carry out institutional reforms.

“We can’t afford excess equipment,” Dempsey said. “We can’t afford excess facilities. We have to reform how we buy weapons and services. We have to reduce redundancy. And we’ve got to change, at some level, our compensation structure.”




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 

Nellis prepared for Air Force Fitness Management System upgrade

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. — The Air Force Fitness Management System, or AFFMS, will be offline from Dec. 31-Jan. 11 to enable Air Force Personnel Center teams to transition content to the improved Air Force Fitness Management System II. The new system – AFFMS II – will improve accessibility and fitness program managers’ ability...
 
 
basketball4

Intramural basketball season underway

U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Siuta B. Ika Jan Lanier, 99th Security Forces Squadron guard, goes up for a dunk during an intramural basketball game against the 57th Operations Support Squadron at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev...
 
 

Saving energy to save money

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. — One million dollars is a large sum of money. That is the amount Nellis and Creech Air Force Bases consume in electricity annually. One quarter of that energy is supplemented by renewable energy gathered by the solar field, said Jeffrey Blazi, 99th Civil Engineer Squadron energy program manager. “We...
 

 
creech9

2014 Creech Year in Review

U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Nadine Barclay An MQ-9 Reaper sits as a static display in front of the Las Vegas skyline during the 2014 Nellis Open House at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., Nov. 8. The MQ-9 Reaper provides the ...
 
 
DT8

2014 Nellis Year in Review

U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Thomas Spangler An Airman from the 820th RED HORSE Squadron reunites with his family at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., after returning from deployment April 28. RED HORSE specializes in co...
 
 

Ask the Doc

Q. Does TRICARE cover power wheelchairs and scooters? A. Yes — if medically necessary and TRICARE requirements are met. TRICARE may cover scooters — electric-powered and cart-type vehicles — as an alternate to an electric wheelchair, but TRICARE will not pay for both a scooter and an electric wheelchair during the same period of time....
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin