To ensure a smooth move, contact the Nellis Traffic Management Office to set up an initial Personal Property briefing as soon as you receive your PCS orders. After the TMO briefing, you can expect a minimum of 21 days delay between scheduling and actual pick up so please be flexible.
When scheduling pick up dates, Nellis TMO recommends no less than 7days between your primary and alternate pick up date selections. If a requested primary pick-up date is July 24 then the alternate pick-up date should be July 31.
The alternative is to use the web-based Defense Personal Property System which can be accessed at work or at home through the non-secure website, www.move.mil. The website is the portal for DPS and the one-stop shop where members can completely manage their move process. Members using move.mil for the first time will find online training videos and presentations explaining how to navigate through the moving process.
If government-arranged moves are not available during the timeframe required, be sure to utilize other options.
These options consist of, but are not limited to, having a designated releasing agent, power of attorney, or a Personally Procured Move. Contact TMO in order to discuss these options at the time of the briefing.
Also, keep in consideration your weight allowances.
A rule of thumb to gauge the weight of household goods when planning a PCS move is about 1,000 pounds per room as an initial estimate. Service members are always encouraged to dispose of any unnecessary items to reduce the weight of their shipment as any weight shipped in excess of their entitlement will be charged to them.
Planning ahead will lead to a smoother transition.
Below are some helpful tips to reduce stress and make your move a successful one:
Visit www.move.mil and review the “IT’S YOUR MOVE” pamphlets and other helpful information under the “DOD Service Members and Civilians” section.
· Contact/visit your local Traffic Management Office as soon as you have PCS orders.
· After the TMO briefing, you can expect a minimum of 21 days delay between scheduling and your actual pick up.
· If you self-counsel in DPS be sure to bring required paperwork to TMO as soon as you complete the counseling.
· If you do self-counsel and encounter problems with the system, contact the DPS helpdesk at 1-800-462-2176 “Option 5.” If you have entitlement questions contact your local TMO office.
· Provide both primary and alternate move dates and be flexible with these dates.
· Provide a valid e-mail address and phone number so that you can be readily reached throughout your move.
· Remember to obtain and keep numbers and points of contact from the Transportation Service Provider conducting your move and keep in contact with them throughout the move.
· Contact TMO immediately if your TSP doesn’t initiate contact within 10 days of primary pack and pick up dates or if they do not arrive on the projected move day.
· Contact TMO for questions prior to your move and contact your TSP with questions after your property has picked up. If your TSP does not satisfy you, contact your responsible Joint Personal Property Shipping Office.
If you have any questions, contact TMO at (702) 652-6683 or email 99LRS/LGRDF@nellis.af.mil.