DoD

October 4, 2013

Military must slow growth for military pay, health care

SEOUL, South Korea – The military has to look at the entire package of compensation, health care and retirement, Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey told a U.S. Forces Korea Town Hall meeting in Seoul, South Korea Oct. 1.

The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and his wife, Deanie, spent an hour answering question from the joint service audience. Budget issues were a main concern for the service members.

Personnel costs have to be brought under control, the chairman said. He assured the service members that any changes to military retirement would be grandfathered. “So the question is what do we do with retirement for the next generation of soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines,” he said. “But compensation … and health care costs are growing at rates that are unsustainable to the all-volunteer force.”

This does not mean cuts, the chairman said, “we may not actually have to reduce pay and benefits, but we have to slow the growth.”

Last year, for example, DOD recommended a 1 percent pay raise for military personnel. Congress upped the total to 1.8 percent. Slowing the rate by just that much would have saved DOD $13 billion. Instead, the money to pay for the raise came out of readiness accounts, the chairman said.

In an interview with reporters traveling with him, Dempsey expanded on this. He noted he has been through three drawdowns in his career that began in 1974 – the post-Vietnam drawdown, the post-Cold War drawdown and the current one. This one is alarming to him because it is the steepest drawdown he has seen.

“The steepness of it puts us in a position to not exert enough control on balancing our requirements across all the accounts, whether they are manpower accounts, modernization, maintenance, training, family care,” he said. “It’s extraordinarily challenging to try to balance the budget because of the steepness of this drawdown.”

He is worried about the long-term effects of the drawdown. Under sequester, DOD must cut an additional $52 billion from the budget in fiscal 2014. “If I were able to shrink the force, close some unnecessary infrastructure, potentially cancel some weapons systems that we don’t think are as important as others, I think I can probably balance it and not affect readiness to the extent we are,” he said.

But Congress will not allow another base realignment and closure process, and Congress has continued some weapons systems the department has specifically said it does not need. “Because there are parts of the budget that are untouchable to me at this point,” he said. “Unless I can touch some of those things, it all comes out of readiness, which means the next group to deploy will be less ready than they should be.

“That’s not a position that our armed forces should be in as the greatest military on the planet serving the greatest nation on the planet.”

And sequestration could continue to be a year-by-year process, and that is dangerous “because we are asking the force to live with uncertainty and do it a year at a time,” he said. “Eventually I think they are going to lose faith if we do it a year at a time.”




All of this week's top headlines to your email every Friday.


 
 

 
DoD

DOD releases report on estimated sequestration impacts

WASHINGTON — Defense Department officials today released a report that documents the cuts to military forces, modernization and readiness that will be required if defense budgets are held at sequester-levels in the years beyond fiscal year 2015. The report fulfills a commitment made by Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel “to provide details on the effects of...
 
 
DoD

Helpline marks 3 years of aiding sexual assault victims

WASHINGTON – The DOD Safe Helpline — a crisis-response resource that provides sexual assault victims with an anonymous and confidential system of support 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from anywhere in the world – marks three years of operation this month. Since 2011, more than 20,000 people have sought one-on-one sexual assault...
 
 
DoD

SecAF addresses women in national security

WASHINGTON — Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James addressed the topic of women serving in combat roles during a Women In International Security-sponsored event to celebrate Women’s History Month at the Stimson Center, March 28. “In the Air Force, we were already leading the pack in terms of integration of women,” said James, who...
 

 
DoD
deca-fruit

Commissaries showcase fruits, veggies for ‘Little Heroes’ in April

Courtesy photo FORT LEE, Va. — To honor military children, commissaries have fun ways for parents and their “little heroes” to learn about the nutritious value of fruits and vegetables. During April, the Month of the Mili...
 
 
DoD

2014 QDR presumes future includes more risk, less money

The 2014 Quadrennial Defense Review isn’t like previous reviews, a senior Defense Department official said March 10. Christine E. Wormuth, deputy undersecretary of defense for strategy, plans and force development spoke at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. The QDR is a congressionally mandated review of DOD strategy and priorities. It is intended to...
 
 
DoD

DOD to mandate documentation for lost, stolen CAC cards

WASHINGTON — Later this year, the Defense Department will begin fully enforcing a previously optional policy regarding the reissuance of lost or stolen common access cards, a defense official said in Washington, D.C., Feb. 11. Sam Yousef, a program manager for identity and benefits policy at the Defense Human Resources Activity, discussed an update to...
 




0 Comments


Be the first to comment!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>


Directory powered by Business Directory Plugin